Moment of mental lunacy

Been rumbling along for a while now with the thought of going stinkie. :party2:

So having gone barking mad decided to have a serious look at a Powles 46... BUT now need an outsiders view on this 'Classic' vessel.

Bit of info on the beast...

post-1-136713506215_thumb.jpg

Designer: Bernard Olesinski

Builder: Jack Powels International

Fuel capacity: 1 x 1,820 ltr (400.4 G)

Water capacity: 1 x 910 ltr (200.2 G)

Last survey: 01/07/2001

LOA: 14.1m (46'5")

LWL: 13.5m (44'5")

Beam: 4.4m (14'3")

Draft Min: 1.6m (5'4")

Draft Max: 1.6m (5'4")

Displacement: 24,570kg (54,176.9lbs)

Headroom: 6.2m (20'4")

NOT convinced he's got the draft/air draft quite right !!!!!!! If he has that's a serious amount of top hamper

2 x diesel 306hp, Volvo Penta TAMD70D (1979)

fresh-water cooled,

wheel steering,

shaft drive, fixed (3 blade) prop(s).

Fuel consumption (approx) 68ltrs/hour,

Cruising speed 12 knots,

Max speed 18 knots.

Generator output 19.8KVA.

Engine spares

2 spare props, Engines - 6 cylinder turbo charged - 280 hp at 2,500 RPM. Engines refurbished 200/2001. 220v Generator

Question is does anybody have any views/horror stories about this lovely boat.

Have booked a survey before anyone asks.

I can't believe I'm even considering this, means I'll have to 'Do' powerboat skipper :Stinky. As the saily one don't count. :Sailing

To the best of my knowledge a well designed, well behaved and well built craft, the survey will obviously highlight any specific issues, I would recommend a Volvo engineers report and possibly oil analysis as well as the general survey (including the genny). You will almost certainly find some personal experiences and maybe even somebody who knows the boat if you make a similar post on the motorboat section of the ybw.com forums. I can’t see from the picture but she may have a radar mast instead of an arch which would account for the seemingly unfeasible air draught. Tired of taking days to get to the mouth of the Orwell?

Bernard Olesinski hulls are well known as being sea kindly and have a good reputation.

I can't add more to that already said but having a first hand look and if still interested a survey will give you the answer as to whether to progress further.

YBW is a mine of information

Hi Andy

I am a powles fan i dont mind the 46 shown above but i love the sedan versions there is a nice single diesel up for sale or you might like this one with twin diesels

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice sliceice slice

image.php?src=url|http%3A%2F%2Fessex.boatshed.com%2Fimages%2F_autoimage.php%3Fsrc%3D60156_BoatPic_Main.jpg%26width%3D300%26height%3D225%26quality%3D75%26caption%3D%2528C%2529%25202009%2520Boatshed%2520-%2520Powles%252036~file|..%2Fimages%2Fadvert_details%2Fno_image.gif&width=300&height=200&bgcolor=245~245~245

I'll have you know that we have been known to take less than 2 days to get to Titchmarsh !!!

Shame we can't get over the bar at the marina entrance though :naughty:

Jonny,

Got to admit I'm a 2 engine man when at sea. (and before anyone mentions it, I know most trawlers have 1 engine)

Andy