Charging problem?

With my boat engine running, my ammeter needle used flick full scale to indicate a 45 Amp charge rate for a while and would then settle down to indicate a 30 Amp and then eventually a 15 Amp charge rate. During my last couple of outings, the ammeter needle has only indicated charging at 45 Amps i.e. charge rate does not reduce as the batteries are satisfied. Both batteries are fairly new, one having been replaced last year and the other this year.

Is this likely to be a battery problem or an issue with the alternator or its charge controller? Can anyone recommend an "expert" in the Horning area who could sort this out for me?

Regards

Steve

Steve i would be tempted to try another ammeter if you use a multimeter and test the voltage charge rate it should be arround 14.6 volts max if its over this then yes suspect the alternator regulator

the 14.6 volts should be checked accross one of the batterys

also check from the alternator out put terminal they should be the same give or take a volt