Breydon Crossing

Boatyman

33 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

What sort of silly billy would even attempt it?!?...............

Yes Peter, though "silly billy" is a very polite way of putting it.

Quite an exciting adventure if nothing goes wrong.

However, if any of the craft in front experience engine or prop problems, they would immediately surge back towards the following boats at 5 to 8 mph, probably swinging broadside on too, completely spanning the width of the river at that point.

The following boats would then also have to instantly go backwards at 5mph minimum, or turn, a frightening and dangerous prospect for anyone, whether privateer or hirer, skilled or a newcomer.....

I thought I'd read somewhere that some hire companies insist on slack water passage, rather than just advising it ?

Re 'silly billy', I'm politeness personified, and not only that, our .popular City correspondent is one of ours, bless 'im. However, you are quite right. We weren't always as wise as we might be in our formative years! Add to your above scenario boats coming down on the tide and the problems magnify quite alarmingly.

As kids, when the wind and tide were in our favour, we would hang over the side of the bridges and drop onto boats drifting backwards under us. We used to earn quite a few ten bob notes from rescued and relieved holiday makers back in the late '50's when Yarmouth was often crammed and engines were no more than just adequate. There used to be some real bloodbaths when conditions were right, sorry, wrong!

I did that once in a Perfect Lady Yacht, but not with that much ebb! It was not a nice experience and, I am happy to admit, poor seamanship. We survived to tell the tale, but I pulled in to the wall and tied up until the ebb had disappeared.  Not sure what you mean by 'we had to ' Robin!