Propex vs Web/Eber

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't going to resurect this, but seeing as it's already been done for me :lol: .....

I placed an order at Norfolk Marine this weekend for a new Propex HS2800 triple outlet marine kit.A bit of negotiating and price matching brought the cost in at about half what the equivalent Webo would have been. They may be a bit more expensive to run, but the difference in initial outlay is going to buy a hell of a lot of gas!!!

The one thing I am going to do, though, is purchase a Webo exhast skin fitting. The Propex ones have an inlet and an outlet, as they take the combustion air from outside unlike the Webo's. On quizzing Propex on this, it is because in theory, if the solenoid valve failed in the open position, then theoretically gas could end up coming out of the air intake and therefore needs to be vented outside. The problem is the Propex skin fitting is a bit of a naff flimsy affair that Ido not think is going to stand up to any sea use very well. I'm therefore going with the more robist Webo exhaust fitting and a metal skin fitting for the air intake.

Apart from the massive difference in price, the ease of installation was another big factor as I simply cannot see and easy way of getting to the fuel tanks. However, the gas pipe runs through the locker where I intend to mount the Propex unit so thats handy! The only tricky bit is going to be trying to route the hot air ducts :? .

Hopefully in a couple of weeks we should have heating :dance:dance

Guest chriscraft

hi,

i would make sure the skin fitting has stabs that point upwards,propex units have a cobustion air flow senser,which if there,s too much resistance ,ie ingress of water,or too long intake and exhaust pipes,it won,t work,you may invalidate the garantee,and fall foul of the gas regs for boat,s(lpg)

cheers trev

Hi Trev

Yes, the Webo exhaust does indeed have the spigot pointing upwards to help stop water ingress. As for the inlet, I'll obviously try to sort one of equal diameter so there's no flow problems and ensure there is a swan neck to stop the water. To be honest, the proper Propex one is a shoddy bit of fabrication so I don't think there'll be any problems with that.

aint that what tents to happen when he lets one go :naughty::naughty:

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Not quite Jonny, there's no carbon involved in that!! :lol:

Mark, you can also point out your Webo exhaust to passers by and they wont twig your a tight ****

There are far easier way's of spotting that Jimbo, like me not buying you a pint for example :lol:

wow what a long thread.,...read most of it and think I got the gist!

Our experience is that webo's dont mind broads fuel and Ebers hate it...hence when we do use it...it has to be on full power, which normally means opening windows when it gets too hot. Though I have to say the 2kw heater on jupes did a better job than the 4kw one on Bling.

We did however, notice that the heater on the latter boat cosnsumed a massive amount of fuel over the Christmas period when we had her on most of the time.

WIth regard to gas...my only comment is that I get very p**** paying £20 to refill a 907 when the 15Kg bottle I use to run my barbecue at home is about the same price.

What has worked for us, is a couple of small electric heaters with good stats. We have spent a considerable amount of leisure time on the boat and found it to be very effective...especially when you consider that often you moor up at a post that still has credit on it. (yes I know thats swings and roundabouts, but I am sure its costing us less than using the diesel.)

Obviously leccy heaters are no good if you dont have a supply, but I think you need to consider when and where you may need the heating to determine the best combination. In our case, we spend a lot of time just moored at the marina or at a leccy post, so the leccy heaters work for us.

Plus ...suzanne always complains if I put the diesel heater on in the morning as the noise wakes her up.

I am sure this post is of no use, but our £20 ceramic fan heater in our fron cabin works a treat!!!

two gunstwo gunstwo guns

adam...

My indoor steering is only any good if the weather is perfect, anything else and the widows just steam up.

Why is it you wouldn't contemplate buying even a £5k car without demisters and a heater yet manufacturers of 200k boats don't think it is an essential?