Engine spares price comparison

Hi All

Following on from Ian's (Senator) recommendation for Keypart.com for engine service spares etc, I thought I'd ask for a quotation from French Marine to compare with the prices on Keypart's website.

The costs were based on the following items for a Volvo Penta AD41P-A, but only 1 off each part:

Spin on oil filter

Spin on fuel filter

Power steering belt

Alternator belt set

Thermostat kit

Impeller Kit

The total costs inc VAT were; French Marine was £159.94, Keypart was £123.49 (free delivery).

Quite interesting I thought, considering that most of the items I will require 2 of each, making over a £50 saving using Keypart

Mark, if you go to your nearest commercial vehicle parts supplier you will get your filters cheaper, just take the model number and make for them to match it against.

With a bit of digging you will find the other bits cheaper than Keypart as well but I find that the convenience of just ticking the boxes is generally worth the little bit you pay. Good service and reliable.

If you really want to save money and get genuine parts then marineparts express in the states is the place to go, you do need to get quite a few bits to make the shipping wothwhile but if there's a few of you or you get a couple of years worth of consumables at a time, especially spark plugs and ignition parts it is well worth a look. Just as an example, the signal converter for my motor was £800+ in UK and I got ot for £300 including shipping.

Just to throw another cog in the wheels of purchasing, a friend of mine recommend the following site for filters. He said its worth splitting your order between Keypart and this company for the savings (obviously depending on your engine)

http://www.inlinefilters.co.uk

He also said they were very helpful if you need any help...

That's certainly worth a look Luke. The first one I tried was the oil filter which came in over £4 cheaper than Keypart. I couldn't find the secondary fuel filter by part number, but the one I think it is was nearly £8 cheaper. The only thing is that I wonder whether I would prefer the genuine filter on the engines? What is the consensus on that?

The genuine -v- pattern parts is a bit of a minefield Mark, all I would say when it comes to fuel filters don’t look at whether they fit the same spigot but check they are the same micron value recommended by the engine manufacturer. My own view is pretty basic, in the whole scheme of boating costs consumables are bus fares so I always use genuine manufacturers bits then I am CERTAIN they are fit for purpose. Try to use the maxim best value rather than cheapest and you won't go far wrong.

but at the same time David it is unlikely that Volvo will make the filters and they probably source them from a major filter manufacturer for truck filters.

If you buy the original without Volvo on it is the same filter just 1/3rd of the cost.

My view is buy a high qaulity brand that matches the spec and spend the money you save in the pub.

but at the same time David it is unlikely that Volvo will make the filters and they probably source them from a major filter manufacturer for truck filters.

If you buy the original without Volvo on it is the same filter just 1/3rd of the cost.

My view is buy a high qaulity brand that matches the spec and spend the money you save in the pub.

Can't really argue with that Ian, provided "matches the spec" is observed stringently, how many trucks use 2 micron engine filters though.

I don't think you need the tights David, if it will pass through the cocoa tin it will probably go through the Carb,

Volvo Petrols will run on just about anything that burns but as a plus point that does mean it is less likely to suffer a fuel failure at Sea. Downside seems to be as the fuel passes through so easily it is queuing up to get down the pipe as fast as possible.

The water park Kamikaze slide has nothing on my fuel pipes :cry:cry

I know exactly what you mean Ian, I fitted a floscan to our last V8 petrol boat and it scared the bejesus out of me, even on auto choke whilst warming up the gauge showed 10 to 12 GPH :o

still I guess it doesn't have time to sit in the tank and fester. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Well after ringing around a few places, I decided Keypart were about the cheapest for Volvo parts. I placed an order at just after 2:00pm yesterday afternoon, and it was delivered this morning at 10:00am. That's a pretty good service in my book, especially as it's free delivery at the moment :clap