Which antifoul?

Hi All

More advice please :naughty:

Whilst the boat is out, I am going to take Col's advice and give it a quick once over with antifoul, even though what is there is in pretty good shape. Does anyone have any preference on which antifouls to use suitable for both freshand salt water?

The one that caught my eye in Aquafax was the Blakes Broads True Blue, which stated on the tin as being "medium strength for use in both fresh and salt waters". My worry with this one is that once we get up to speed it might all fall off!

It won't fall off if you put it on right Mark :naughty:

The broads blue should be fine though I prefer something a bit harder for a planing boat, actually alternating between fresh and salt water is in itself not a bad antifoul as the critters that like one don’t like the other. The important thing is to get the most suitable product for your mooring as that is where the boat will spend the vast majority of it’s life.

Hi Mark, we use seajet emperor 034 it is copper free so you can use it on everything including your outdrives and props and it is a 2 year antifoul.

Seems to work very well both in Burgh and Reedham. Ask around your marina and see what others are using.

I have checked what was previously put on the boat, and it was indeed Blakes "Broads". I looked at the Seajet stuff earlier in French Marine, but got a bit worried when it stated on the tin to check with them on the compatibility when coating over existing antifouls. I was going to just give the outdrives a quick lick of Volvo grey, but would the Seajet be better do you think then Ian?

Thats a good tip Robin, but I think there are already about a dozen coats of anti foul there! Any more and I'd have to pay more for the mooring for the extra width :lol:

Just use which ever one doesn't react with Col's slap head :grin:

Well, whatever was on Simon's bottom seemed to stick pretty good, so I'll use some of that.!

(ooh, that didn't sound quite like I intended :oops::naughty: )

Well, whatever was on Simon's bottom seemed to stick pretty good, so I'll use some of that.!

(ooh, that didn't sound quite like I intended :oops::naughty: )

It might have stuck to Colin's head but it didn't really stick to the hull of the boat that well!

It might have stuck to Colin's head but it didn't really stick to the hull of the boat that well!

Did it just scrape of fairly easy then Simon? Mine still looks pretty sound, so I am a bit loathe to take a scraper to it with too much vigour except where it is obviously flaking a bit. I dunno how easy it comes off normally, although after this afternoon trying to get all the scale from the waterline, I can state that Cillit Bang seems quite good as dissolving it :roll:

More or less anything seems to dissolve antifoul. It stuck in some places, in others it just flaked off, hence the amount that ended up on Colin's head. I can't really offer any exciting observations on it I am afraid.

To be honest Mark I don't think you get that much fouling on the Broads but it could be due to what David said earlier in that the salt kills the fresh stuff and the boat isn't moored for long enough salt side for much to get a hold before she is back in fresh.

Slime seems to be the biggest issue and despite not antifouling the drives on Clanny (we did on White Lady) there was not much more on them than there was on the hull.

We went with Hammerite Silver Smooth for the drives this year and didn't bother with antifoul, the Hammerite allowed a much thicker coat than the aerosol stuff so a bit of trial and error