On Going Costs

Jovril

1 hour ago, socrates said:

Costs versus the sheer pleasure of owing a wooden cruiser which is part of the history and heritage of  Broads.  Pleasure wins hands down. I only wish more people would take an interest in wooden boats so more of them can be saved. 

Good luck the the searchers -consider a wooden boat.

I do take interest in wooden boats in a 1971 mirror 10 :default_coat:

At least your Mirror floats, mine still has a big hole in the bottom and needs a new transom too. Putting her back on the water will cost more than it's worth but I will still do it for sentimental reasons.

As for also owning two 'half timbered' woodies I must be mental but it's more fun working with wood than plastic, IMHO.

My only advice would be set your budget but don't be surprised if (when) you exceed it. Our budget for Lady Linda x738 has already more than what we paid for the boat BUT when she is finished she will be what we always wanted and refitted to our needs.

Roll on the Spring.

Colin:default_winko:

We had a budget idea but from time to time it got exceeded when we thought enough money was available, only to struggle after after a downturn in our business!!

Overall, in response to the OP, our running costs for engine servicing, lift out, anti foul are not too bad for a 24 foot boat.  Drive leg service including lift out and back, around £350 every two years, engine servicing is done by me and a local buddy, cost of parts and beers plus dinner, not too bad at all.

As to the rest of money and time spent, well that is down to me poshing her up now and then.......thats me own fault :default_dunce:

1 hour ago, Islander said:

At least your Mirror floats, mine still has a big hole in the bottom and needs a new transom too. Putting her back on the water will cost more than it's worth but I will still do it for sentimental reasons.

As for also owning two 'half timbered' woodies I must be mental but it's more fun working with wood than plastic, IMHO.

My only advice would be set your budget but don't be surprised if (when) you exceed it. Our budget for Lady Linda x738 has already more than what we paid for the boat BUT when she is finished she will be what we always wanted and refitted to our needs.

Roll on the Spring.

Colin:default_winko:

She didn't always float too well all the usual mirror problem's especially the centre board casing , then introduced her to this new fangled compound called GRP n bingo water tight ,  but yea your right working with wood is far superior to working with plastic .

My brother sailed a Heron many years ago, my father a GP14. On a gravel pit called Kingsmead. The railway dissected the club (Sunnymeads station) from the more famous Wraysbury Lake SC. That was many moons ago before WR was bought. Previous to that the family sailed at Weybridge in Thames rater territory. Sorry total deviation from original thread....