What Song You 'wish' Was No.1 When You Were Born

Ray

Never one to miss jumping on a band wagon and having a disappointing song as No1 when I was born, I thought this could be an interesting subject along similar lines :)

Born in '55 and a teenager in the 70's my love is rock, heavy and prog plus the odd pop hit from the time I can now admit (as street cred is something I long ago stopped being concerned about)

For a song I wished was No1 when I was born I haven't gone for my all time favourite, although it's certainly up there but one which I remember as catching the feeling of the time and how I felt!

Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild

and The Who - My Generation

Early memories are of my dad, dancing around carrying me and singing 'Unchained Melody', still a favourite now.

I had many a singalong with Grandad and Grandma, his favourites were 'Tipperary' and 'Mademoiselle from Armentieres' (Verse 1 only, which I wondered about at the time:default_biggrin:) Grandma's were music hall songs which I still love.

• Like 2

My mum came from a fairly big family.  She was the eldest of nine siblings and was the first to get married.  She wanted to carry on working, so up to school age my nana looked after me, so I had what I thought at the time were big brothers and sisters. It was great! My nana introduced me to George Formby, Old Mother Riley and my absolute favourites, Fred and Ginger and the music of Cole Porter, Irving Berlin and George Gershwin. IMHO, you cannot top some of the songs those guys wrote and even now, listening to them on the radio it takes me back to that time....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1