Reedham St Olaves Somerleyton

When fishing on the broads ( which I will be in a short few weeks :default_eusa_dance:) I usually avoid fishing at the above places , assuming it's a bit salty for perch ,bream etc. 

Am I missing a trick here? And if so, what is the best method on these parts and what am I likely to catch? 

I usually float fish, occasionally I fish off the bottom with a feeder  using maggots , worms , sweet corn , ham or bread.

I always have my spinner but usually just short bursts early morning or just after dark looking for a bit pike action. I've caught ( and released unharmed ) two pike on the northern broads but never on the South , so again any pike hotspots in the South would be appreciated .

Any tips much appreciated , and I will report on success once it's all over, but I'm not thinking of that yet!!

Probably best to wait until autumn or even winter, before pike fishing on the broads. The fish are in the best condition then and generally at their heaviest weight too. Summer can sometimes be a bit dodgy for pike fishing, particularly in shallow water areas, or where there is little flow. In periods of warm weather, the dissolved oxygen levels in such places can be significantly lower. Although they can seem fit and well conditioned, pike have a tendency to suffer after the exertion of the fight, with low oxygen levels this is exacerbated. Even with careful handling and quick release, post capture mortality levels can be high, particularly for the larger fish, during the summer months.

2 hours ago, kingfisher666 said:

Probably best to wait until autumn or even winter, before pike fishing on the broads. The fish are in the best condition then and generally at their heaviest weight too. Summer can sometimes be a bit dodgy for pike fishing, particularly in shallow water areas, or where there is little flow. In periods of warm weather, the dissolved oxygen levels in such places can be significantly lower. Although they can seem fit and well conditioned, pike have a tendency to suffer after the exertion of the fight, with low oxygen levels this is exacerbated. Even with careful handling and quick release, post capture mortality levels can be high, particularly for the larger fish, during the summer months.

On that note , im not so sure they enjoy getting caught at anytime, and would probably prefer we just left them alone all year :default_blink:

The pike I have caught in the summer months have been landed and released promptly without any obvious ill effects.

• 1 year later...
On 20/06/2018 at 07:41, Guest said:

Some 16-17 years ago we were on a boating Holiday on the broads and i was fishing from the boat catching a lot of roach perch , the odd hybrid and skimmer bream but a pike kept taking my swim feeders.On its last attack i felt the full weight of this beast and decided right now thats your last one and rigged up my carp rod with 12 lb line wire trace and a live Roach . After a few minutes wait off went the float and bang . Some 10 minutes or more later  i landed a monster 36 lb Pike . During the fight she tail walked jumped and went right over our dinghy,my heart was in my mouth it was massive . I kept her in the margins in a large keepnet for her to recover before releasing her safe and well .Pretty sure had i caught her in winter she would have been well over 40 lb,she was 5 ft long and a head like an alligator .

• Like 1