Strange VHF problem

Hi all

I recently put a new VHF on Sea Jem - one with that new fangled DSC. Anyway last night Rictic visited my moorings (so we had to have a beer :grin: ) and on his way out asked if I could call him so he could check out his handheld. About 300 yds up river he could not hear me. I tried on the handheld and that was fine.

Next Maggot took the handheld for a walk and she could hear me o.k but it was'nt great and I could hear her o.k. Then I thought I would call Lowestoft - firstly Low and then Hi power and the obviously could not hear me. I could hear them usually but sometimes the Handheld would pick up an conversation and the new set only one of the parties.

Finally I tried calling Luke in Reedham - he could not hear me either.

So I guess it's now a new antenna which will be a right pain running the coax -

I am moored next to quite a large steel ship - I did wonder about that but then the handheld was fine.

Any ideas?

thanks

Wayne

Thats a similar problem to the one I had with the original VHF in Serenity. I had a range of about 1/2 mile on high power even though I could receive fine. In the end a second hand DSC set, new coax and new antenna were fitted just so I knew every link in the chain was good. No problems now. I have heard that if water penetrates between the outer sheathing of the coax and the shielding inside it can cause all sorts or problems.