fresh water pump

hi peeps

i think my fresh water pump has just packed up

switched on the tap and nothing, checked the fuses and they all look ok so ill be checking the pump over.

its a while since i bought a fresh water pump and wondered which are your favoured and why.

jill

When I refitted Tranquil Breeze, jill, I got a Jabsco 25psi unit. These have a built in pressure sensor which prevents the pulsing of the water or the need for an accumulator to even out the water pressure. I think it cost me just over £100 but seems cheaper now.

Not sure if this is the exact model, but it was certainly similar to this one http://www.marinescene.co.uk/product/1526/jabsco-par-max-2.9-(12volt)-pressurised-water-system-pump

Hi Jill

If your taps are of the Micro Switch type, that is to say that they have a couple of wires coming from the underneath of them, and you may even hear the click of the built-in switch as you turn them on an off, you need to be sure that the pipe to tap connection is capable of not be forced out by the 25psi pressure of a pressure switch pump.

Quite often the micro-switch taps have only a 'push fit' connector which rely purely on an 'O' ring to make the the seal and keep the spigot connector in place. This is fine with a non pressure switched pump, as the the pump only activates when the taps are opened and unlike the pressure switched pumps, do not rely on back pressure to turn the pump off.

Systems using a pressure switched pump, use a domestic type tap, without any built-in switches. When the tap is opened, the back-pressure on the pressure switch in the pump is released, and the the pump runs. When the tap is turned off, a back-pressure builds up, until its sufficient to operate the pressure switch and turn the pump off. In the off position, the pressure in the pipe and on the tap connectors, can be up to 25psi. It remains under pressure all the time the taps are closed.

If you don't have any wire connections to your taps, then you'll be fine with a pressure pump, and the Jabsco units are a good choice.

Dave

To quote Dave S

"Quite often the micro-switch taps have only a 'push fit' connector which rely purely on an 'O' ring to make the the seal and keep the spigot connector in place. This is fine with a non pressure switched pump, as the the pump only activates when the taps are opened and unlike the pressure switched pumps, do not rely on back pressure to turn the pump off."

You kid me not mate :naughty: I tried turning our water system into pressurised when I found out our pump had the facility. Pity about the push fit pipework inder the galley basin :oops:

When I opened the cupboard doors, it was like the Niagra Falls :lol:

Ours is an old ITT Jabso unit and I can tell you it pushes over 38 PSI :o

As Dad says above, as his message relates to what i have done to mine.

I purchased a Jabsco pressure pump for my boat back in may for £52 (Seamark Nunn online price, but pick in store), as the old one went south.

I had to replace the Galley Taps as well, as the original ones leaked, due to its O rings being no good. Couldn't be bothered to find the correct size o rings, plus they were old, so we fitted a new mixer tap for 40 squid from Homestead caravans.

I,m sure you will know exactly what i mean when i say that i exhausted every swear word possible when removing & fitting them, due to their location.

Due to having 2 holes where the old taps were, i made a template to cut out some clear acrylic out for a curved base that fit in the corner as the new tap only needed one hole in the middle, sprayed the underside black for a mirror gloss finish on top & then glued in place with some good quality black silicone. (Job done, sounds familiar)

The leaf switches on the taps directly fire the pump and to be fair no problems yet (although the head taps might need replacing, as they might be intermittently leaking from underneath now.

I guess you might expect that for 24 year old taps. Anyway, the only thing thats on my mind, is that up to 4 amps passes through the switches with my pump and i,m wondering how long the contacts might last, as every time they are swicthed, there will be pitting when it sparks during contact. We shall see........

I recommend this pump Jim, it was a fair price & it works fine with plenty of pressure when you open them fully.

You can hear the pump ramping up as you open the taps towards the fully open point.

Hope this helps.............if i can find a photo of the mixer taps, i will put it up on here.

Grant

If you need the exact model, PM or Text me & i will have a look at the box in my garage loft.

thanks for the help peeps

usefull brill info

the pump has decided to recover but im not counting on it now and will replace it soon as its done 10 good years

that i know to.

my switches are original style so no probs there.

my system is not presurised at the mo as i like to be able to flick the switch with my elbo and the water to flow when

i have dirty or soapy hands that i dont want on the tap.

jill

Fraid so jim, but now they are in the bin. The head taps might be heading in the same direction.

The galley tap is now a modern looking mixer with one lever which starts with cold water and then then moves into the hot water the further you turn it.

Mind you, with the calorifier not connected yet, its cold all the way at the moment, Lol.

If you have replaced your taps and had your head under the sink, you will know what an a******e of a job that is, especially when your back is across the alluminium edge of the cupboard door surround.......OUCH !

the only thing thats on my mind, is that up to 4 amps passes through the switches with my pump and i,m wondering how long the contacts might last, as every time they are switched, there will be pitting when it sparks during contact.

I had exactly this issue with the microswitches on my taps and resolved it by fitting a simple single-pole relay:-

post-181-136713747881_thumb.jpg

hi jim

yes all sorted thanks

i think what i would love to fit is a switch ( preferably water proof) that i could push once for on and then once again to switch the water pump off , if

that makes sence. that way if i had dirty hands etc and dident want to touch the tap or switch, i could just nudge the switch

for water flow than nudge it again to stop the water flow.

ill be on the hunt for a pump that handles pumping out shower water with hair etc in it, next.

jill