Half Share Available On Thunder Syndicate

After a great time aboard the Thunder syndicate, I have decided to sell my rare half (4%) share in the boat…

Thunder is a 1997 Aquafibre Diamond 43, and sleeps up to eight people in three cabins plus the saloon.

Considerably larger than most other boats in syndicate, Thunder can accommodate two families or a group of friends as there are five separate beds plus the saloon.

128.jpg

A half share gives you two weeks of ‘guaranteed’ boating every year, with the allocation drawn out of the hat (yes, an actual hat) at the syndicate AGM.

So why choose syndicate boating? Well if you compare the costs to hiring then it is very easy to see the benefits. This year I had drawn two weeks in June and was able to swap with other owners in order to get a week in May and a week in July.

Including the cost of winter maintenance, the outlay was just under £1000 for the year. If you look at the cost of hiring Thunder’s sister Beam of Light for the same weeks, the hire costs would have been £2575.35. Quite a difference!

And that’s before you take into consideration the unused weeks. If another owner is unable to use their week, it is offered out to the other owners. Last year, I was out on the boat six times and this year I have also had the option of several extra trips – However other commitments have not allowed me to get much use out of the boat hence my share is sadly for sale.

Thunder has had considerable investment in the last few years, with a new 50hp Nanni engine, shore power, electric mudweight, bow thruster and many other upgrades having been made. As such she is easily one of the better boats available in Broads syndicates, and much higher spec than Beam of Light.

You can find details of the specification and budget on the BCBM website here https://www.bcbm.co.uk/boats/broads-cruisers-page-129.html

The half share will very shortly be listed on BCBM’s website and is priced very keenly for a share in this boat. PM me directly for more information as BCBM charge commission on sales so I'd have to pass that on.

IMG_20190520_184926.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A full share has also recently become available, courtesy of NBN member @jimbob88 and like the half share is also priced very keenly in order to sell. 

If you're considering syndicate boating, don't forget to take into account where the boat is based, what work has already been done and what needs doing.

Thunder is based at Richardson's in Horning (ex LeBoat / Horning Pleasurecraft) and as such benefits from lower running costs than some boats based elsewhere. This has enabled the syndicate to do a considerable amount of work over the last few years, and as such there are no major expenses expected.

• Like 2

Hi Oldgregg,

I am very interested in your 1/2 share in Thunder and I will be in the Norkfolk broads on 21 September. I have spoken to BCBM  to arrange a viewing  but would like to deal with the share owner directly. 

hope to hear from you soon 

Hayley Qurashi

Edited by grendel
phone numbers removed - pms sent with phone numbers
  • Like 2

Having spent a couple of weeks on the Beam of Light recently, I'd say that the Diamond 43 is an excellent design.

Goes under everything (OK, probably not Potter), roomy inside, easy to get in and out of, excellent visibility from the upper helm (not so much from inside, admittedly), split canopies so you can have it open on the non windy side or away from the quayside, decent sized kitchen. And you don't have to open the canopies and get everything wet if it's raining to get under low bridges.

I wouldn't want to hire anything else, and if I was looking to join a syndicate, I'd want it to be Thunder (or Lightning).

• Like 3

On 06/09/2019 at 16:10, Coryton said:

excellent visibility from the upper helm (not so much from inside, admittedly)

There is less visibility with the roof closed, but the design of the helm moulding means that it's easy to slide the left-hand roof open and steer with your head out of the roof.

We often use the boat like this (and leave the upper screen and seat down) as it gives you more shelter if the weather is a bit poor and also allows good visibility under bridges.

I'd agree, though, the Diamond 43 is a great boat.

• Like 2