Help please I'm new to this....

Guest stevewalsh

I am in the process of booking a trip along the broads but have no idea or experience of this, ie what type of boat, and what things there are to do along the way.

The following information is what we are planning, and any help would be much appreciated :

1) 8 will be travelling, 4 adults and 4 kids aged 6 to 12.

2) We want to go to Great Yarmouth along the way. Is this easy to get to(would we need a taxi to the town or can we walk?), and where would we moor ?

3) We plan to go for a week.

4) If we start at Great Yarmouth and we would like to finish there to as we would leave the car there. How far could we go in a week as we need to make sure we get back there at the end!

5) What will petrol cost and how much should we need?

6) What route would be good for the kids? They like most things that are active, as we are a little worried they may get a little bored if nothing much to do!

7) What type of boat will we need ? And who is good and reliable to book through ?

8) What is slack water and the times. I have read a little about this, so any further information would be great.

I'm sorry there are so many questions but I really am a novice.

Any help will be fantastic as I want to make this a great trip that they will all remember.

Thanks very much.

Welcome to the forums (and the Broads).

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any hire boats available from Great Yarmouth itself. There are moorings available (though as it's somewhere I tend to pass through without waiting for longer than a tide, others would probably be better to answer questions about which of them is best).

Wherever you hire a boat from, you will need to return it to the same place at the end of your holiday. You will be able to leave your car(s) at the hire base, though most charge for parking.

Wherever you start from, in a week you could (if you wanted to) see most of the Broads. This will depend on how much time you want to spend on the boat and how much doing other things.

How much diesel you use in a week depends on several factors (how efficient the engine of your boat is, how much you use it, whether you plan your travels to be with the tide or not, how much you use the central heating if fitted). Yards generally take a fuel deposit (at Freedom last year it was £75 for a week) and then settle up one way or the other when the boat returns. I've filled up the same boat after a week's hire and it used 40 litres one week and 160 litres another week, so it can vary a lot. Expect to pay similar prices to road diesel, even though the boat is actually filled with red (it's complicated to explain the details, but basically the duty has to be paid at similar rates to road diesel).

For the size of party you have, you basically have a choice between boats that steer from the front and are on a single level, or boats with a cetnre cockpit, each has advantages and disadvantages. (Forward steer generally have more inside accommodation and are easier to get around inside, centre cockpit can be better if the weather is good and have better visibility from the helm. Personally I'd prefer a centre cockpit, but that's mainly a matter of personal choice.) I'm somewhat biassed (as I spent last season working for them) but you could do worse than take a look at Freedom - Fair Freedom or Rambling Freedom would both be large enough for your party. Failing that, there are plenty of other yards to choose from (Richardson's or Herbert Woods being two of the large ones that spring to mind).

I know I haven't covered all of your questions, but hopefully that should be enough to get you started.

Hi

Thanks for this information, it will be a great help.....

I'm sure other questions will be answered along the way, but the information you have given me is a great start.

Thanks again.

Hi Steve

The hirebases closest to Great Yarmouth are based at Acle, which if I remember correctly is about a two hour, or just over, cruise to Great Yarmouth. Bridgecraft & Horizon Craft are based here. Bridgecraft always look ok but dont have a mass of boats in the size you need and I have no first-hand experience of them (orther than being made to feel unwelcome when mooring up at their yard some years back). Horizon Craft have a good reputation for customer service & well maintained boats and have a couple of boats that may be the right size (Fine & Dawn Horizon), and I have used their owners & sister company Richardsons over many years with no reason to be anything other than happy with their staff, craft & value for money.

However, if you start anywhere on the Northern Broads you can easily have enough time to plan visiting Great Yarmouth by water at some point during your break. The northern rivers are busier, but are a little easier to navigate as newcomers as they are less affected by tides which make mooring up & maneouvering easier, particularly useful when you are new to it all & building confidence in getting to grips with handling a boat for the first time. Great Yarmouth is heavily affected by tide so I would recommend it mnay be better to visit midweek when you have built up a bit more confidence at mooring etc, though I'm sure the yard will give you a few more tips & help on this if you ask them if you wanted to head straight up there.

I would not try and plan too much, just see what the weather's like when you wake up and cruise as far as you feel like at the time! Although not everyones idea of what to do you can always moor at your start base during your trip and jump in the car and visit other places or Great Yarmouth by road. I often visit the beach or seaside places such as Hemsby in this way when I am over.

My favourite places that I think are worth visiting on the Northern Broads include Horning, Wroxham, Coltishall, The River Ant, Womack Water... but you'll not struggle to get round in a week, and there's lots more you can do if you want more hours cruising each day. If you do want the odd big holiday centre or mass activity for the kids the car can be useful for the odd trip out, but there are often small amusements at some of the places you'll moor at.

Have a great holiday...

Dan

The hirebases closest to Great Yarmouth are based at Acle, which if I remember correctly is about a two hour, or just over, cruise to Great Yarmouth. Bridgecraft & Horizon Craft are based here. Bridgecraft always look ok but dont have a mass of boats in the size you need and I have no first-hand experience of them (orther than being made to feel unwelcome when mooring up at their yard some years back). Horizon Craft have a good reputation for customer service & well maintained boats and have a couple of boats that may be the right size (Fine & Dawn Horizon), and I have used their owners & sister company Richardsons over many years with no reason to be anything other than happy with their staff, craft & value for money.

Hi Dan

did you forget sanderson marine :naughty::naughty:

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Thanks Dan I have seen you post before on this site, and as expected your information is valuable.

All I need to work out now is where the best places are for children, the beach sounds good, but any other ideas will be gratefully received.

Northern broads sounds ideal, so any places for children along this route is what is needed.

Thanks everyone so far, it really is a help.

Steve

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Steve, i would agree with Dans previous comments about the tidal influences at Gt Yarmouth, and that to visit there mid week when you`ve become a bit more accustomed to the boats controls and the tides themselves. Also, the Northern rivers as a whole are much less affected by tidal flow in general, so this will help in getting used to handling a boat. As for what yard to go from, i think purely and simply for variety of choice, your best bet is to try Richardsons of Stalham. They are also well situated for first timers due to being near the head of one of the slowest flowing rivers on the whole Broads system, which as i said above will help you in getting used to boat handling. Although i`ve never hired from them, they have a very good reputation for customer service, and should be able to give you the best advice as to which boat will best suit your size and layout requirements, as well as your budget. There are pro`s and con`s about any differing layout, and again the staff will be able to guide you as to which will be more suitable, bearing in mind, you will have young children with you.

Regarding what to do on the broads, well there is a lot TO do. The fishing is excellent, as fellow forumite w44nty will tell you, as well as places like Oulton Broad with the Nichlas Everitt park beside it, as well as a swimming pool, and a good bus service to Lowestoft. There`s also Reedham with Pettit`s animal farm for the kids. There are also several historic windmills/pumps that are often open to the public. There are several leisure centres which have indoor swimming pools, and several places where there are large meadows, and commons, where the kids can fly kites or throw frisbies around. Whatever you decide to do, i think you`ll love it, and will hopefully come again.

Regarding cost of fuel, all i can say is the more you cruise, the more fuel you will use, so take it easy, and don`t be in a rush to try and see ALL of the broads in a week. Just enjoy being afloat and take it at a sedate pace, and your fuel bill will be surprisingly reasonable. The only thing i WILL say is that a larger boat will use more fuel than a smaller one, but not buy any great amount, so don`t let that fighten you off.

Whatever you do, have a great time and enjoy yourselves. Regards .................... Neil.

Steve,

my thoughts:

1) 8 will be travelling, 4 adults and 4 kids aged 6 to 12. Good luck with that! A dingy is a great idea to keep children amused-assuming they are sensible enough or you are happy to spend hours rowing!

2) We want to go to Great Yarmouth along the way. Is this easy to get to(would we need a taxi to the town or can we walk?), and where would we moor ? You can moor there, get a taxi or a train. The last 90 mins from the North into Yarmouth are pretty non descript but if you want to go there then go! But take note of slack water below....

3) We plan to go for a week. Better than a short break!

4) If we start at Great Yarmouth and we would like to finish there to as we would leave the car there. How far could we go in a week as we need to make sure we get back there at the end! As already has been said you cant start there. In a week if you really wanted to and you were happy to cruise 10 hours a day you could physically cruise the whole Broads. I dont advise it, but you can! I guess your kids will want to get off and explore and 8 people on a boat will need to be friendly! If you are into Nature there are good places at Ranworth, opoosit Salhouse Board and How Hill to name a few.

5) What will petrol cost and how much should we need? Note point 4 and Teadermon's comments. Dont run your engine at the mooring to get hot water, take it turns to shower as you go along, go with the tide etc etc

6) What route would be good for the kids? They like most things that are active, as we are a little worried they may get a little bored if nothing much to do! Check out Bewilderwood and how to get there-I would moor at Womack Water and catch the bus but there is obviously a taxi. Wroxham has a minutre railway if you are into that but in my opion rather expensive. Centre cockpit for me, but be prepared to lower the roof for bridges (bad if it is raining!)

8) What is slack water and the times. I have read a little about this, so any further information would be great The tides around Yarmouth can be quite strong and should be respected. Slack water is as it says "slack"! That is to say the tide has turned and is at its weakest. Slkack water is 1 hour after low water at Yarmouth and this is the time you should aim to get there. Buffalo Bill galways gives good advice on this and says always aim to arrive just after slack water as you will then be heading into the tide giving you more control over the boat.

Have a cracking week.

Steve,

I've taken a similar sized party to yours out for a week on hire-craft in both the last two years.

3 adults & 4 kids (3-8) in 2009 (Eden Bridge out of Bridgecraft at Acle),

3 adults & 5 kids (6mths - 9) last year (Fair Freedom out of Freedom Boats at Horning)

If you look in the "holiday tales" section you will find my write-up's of both trips, which might give you some ideas,

including a selection of "child friendly" pubs!

http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9221

http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6637

You will find that on both occaisions I went for a single level boat with a forward well as I find that

the kids can sit out there safely and they are easier to keep track of!

One drawback of a large party is that you have to have a larger boat.

Handling a 42' or 44' can make for "interesting" mooring sessions,

especially when going "stern to" in a forward drive bathtub with very limited rear visability

(I might even take my own wing mirrors with me this year!)

But the thing to remember is that most of the other skippers are either having the same problems

(or remember when they did!) and most of the other boaters will be ready to help you (if only to protect their own boats!)

A dinghy can give them fun but you may find it gets in the way when trying to park the boat

(I forget I had still it tied on the stern on one occaision last year (Oops!),

and in 2009 I managed to have it go adrift on me after I moved it amidships to make the mooring up easier)

A lot will depend on the kids and how they react to being in a floating caravan,

but our's (who are usually TV and play-station addicts) enjoyed it.

Remember it will all be new to them!

It is a good idea to acquire a good load of cheap bread to take with you (Tesco's yellow label section can be useful for that)

as give a gang of kids some bread and a few ducks or swans and that will keep them happy until the bread runs out.

(Of course on the Broads give the kids some bread and the ducks and swans will nearly always find you!)

You may find that you don't have to sort out many places to take them as there is so much going on around them

that they can find lots of things to look at etc.

We took a couple of cheap fishing rods with us last year and they spent quite few hours trying their luck (didn't catch a thing!)

Remember that you will need to pick up a fishing licence for yourself (and then the kids don't need one)

(I think that was what I discovered in my research last year)

And if all else fails most of the boats have TV's and DVD players so a few of their old favourites might be useful.

ESPECIALLY IF IT IS RAINING!

You may also find this link useful for sorting out what the tides will be doing whilst you are afloat

http://www.norfolk-broads.org/tides/broadstides.asp

We will all be out on Fair Freedom again this year (August 13th -20th).

When are you planning on going?

Martin

• 3 months later...

As said gt. yarmouth is accessible from most places & i'd recommend using the free moorings in an afternoon.

As a yorkshireman, richardsons are probably best value and when i took my 1st boat a few years ago headed for potter heigham boat yard. It's got plenty of moorings little tide and easy to do 1st mooring. The only problem was the helpful next boat rushed to throw in the mudweight , fortunately they retrievd it next day.

I remembered this location from 20+ years b4 as a child and it hadn't changed apart from the pub becoming a deserted dump.

Duckfeeding can kill many a spare minute on water and moored up. As far as excitement as a child there were arcades at potter heigham & wroxham and the pleasure beaches @ yarmouth and lowestoft. Try going to oulton broad when the power boats are on a thursday.

There may be live music @ oulton broad or horning