Peter Alliss, R.i.p.

Paul

Very sad news breaking this morning of the death of Peter Alliss, former professional golfer and commentator. For me he was the voice of golf, he reached a level of his craft which few ever manage and as a sports commentator he ranks as one of the very, very best. He was one of the pantheon, alongside Murray Walker, John Arlott, Clive Everton and Sid Waddell. 

It amazes me that Alliss was never honoured, something which I shall never understand. Another demonstration of the random nature of our honours system. I will long remember during a commentary on the Open many years ago a golfer had written to him asking if he would mention during commentary the centenary of his local club, and Alliss duly obliged. The correspondent was a Major Sir Gerry Pending and the name of the club, when said quickly had somewhat rude overtones. It was a few minutes before Alliss realised or it was pointed out to him what he had said. He tried to make an apology and descended into a fit of the giggles which went on almost as long as the famous "leg over" moment of Test Match Special.

rest in peace, Peter Alliss. 

• Like 2