How's it going fuel wise.

Guest smokesmate

hi j4ne

heres some tips for breydon

its really not as bad as it looks if a few bits of local knowledge are followed.

dont think ive ever heard of a boat swept out to sea or hirers comming to any real harm on breydon

it is embarasing to be left high and dry on the mud till the next tide floats you off if youve managed to stray onto the wrong side

of the markers but its not the end of the world.

heres a brill post by another member

Re: Breydon Water

by Ellaboat » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:04 pm

Passage time from "Marina Keys" to either of the first moorings (close to the other side of Breydon) will take 45 mins.

There's the Fisherman's Arms at Burgh Castle on the Waveney or Berney Arms on the Yare - Both are owned by the respective pub/restaurants and are free moorings (both free I think) but will require patronage of the establishment.

Alternatively, just a few hundred yards further up the Waveney are free 24 hour moorings with one electricity point if you're seeking one (although there's just one electricity "pylon" along a large stretch of free moorings).

There's a lot of hype talked about crossing Breydon, but for a first timer following a few guidelines will make for an easy passage (and you'll wonder why you ever worried about it before):-

1) Leave Yarmouth Yacht Station (or "Marina Keys" for that matter) at slack water - 1.5 hours after low water at YYS

2) Avoid crossing in extremely high winds or very poor weather that restricts visibility (i.e. heavy rain).

In totally unsuitable conditions the Rangers would stop you anyway.

3) Ensure that you have plenty of time to cross and reach a mooring before it gets dark.

4) Stay inside the boat or always ensure that anyone that needs to go on deck wears a lifejacket

5) Keep to the right side of the marked channel and don't stray out of the marked channel.

(15 ft outside a channel marker could find you stuck on the mud for at least 6 hours).

6) Don't cut the first corner when leaving the Bure. Go round the yellow marker as directed and pass under the right hand span of Breydon Bridge. (Going north you would be over the other side using what would again be your right hand span).

Otherwise, the only other hazard is the remains of an old jetty as the channel narrows on the far (South) side of Breydon. The submerged stakes are very clearly marked and just outside the marked channel on your right as you go South.

..........................................................................................

That's interesting,

If first time (north based) hirers are actively being put off coming through Gt Yarmouth and onto the South Broads then its no wonder that the area is gradually dying off. That same hirer may not then hire from the South in future years because of this omen of doom. Or alternatively they might find that the bustle of the North is not for them and stay away altogether, whereas actually they may have love the tranquility of the Southern Broads.

I can see where the boatyards are coming from in terms of tides, diesel, potential damage etc. but surely with good quality tutition it shouldn't be a problem.

That's interesting,

If first time (north based) hirers are actively being put off coming through Gt Yarmouth and onto the South Broads then its no wonder that the area is gradually dying off. That same hirer may not then hire from the South in future years because of this omen of doom. Or alternatively they might find that the bustle of the North is not for them and stay away altogether, whereas actually they may have love the tranquility of the Southern Broads.

I can see where the boatyards are coming from in terms of tides, diesel, potential damage etc. but surely with good quality tutition it shouldn't be a problem.

Whoa, whoa, Dolphin!

Not all Broads yards are prophets of doom!

BarnesBrinkcraft at Wroxham suggest this as a one week cruise:

http://www.barnesbrinkcraft.co.uk/7day/

They don't seem to have all these worries about their boats going through GH/across Breydon!

That's interesting,

If first time (north based) hirers are actively being put off coming through Gt Yarmouth and onto the South Broads then its no wonder that the area is gradually dying off. That same hirer may not then hire from the South in future years because of this omen of doom. Or alternatively they might find that the bustle of the North is not for them and stay away altogether, whereas actually they may have love the tranquillity of the Southern Broads.

Whoa, whoa, Dolphin!

They don't seem to have all these worries about their boats going through GH/across Breydon!

And nor should you... hundreds of first-time hirers do it most weeks, especially if they're out for longer than a few days! :clap:clap:clap

And nor should you... hundreds of first-time hirers do it most weeks, especially if they're out for longer than a few days! :clap:clap:clap

If I was a first time hirer reading that write-up from BarnesBrinkcraft I reckon I would give it a go...

Of course I might not know much about the potential hazards of getting the timing wrong,

or how tricky it might be to get on or off the boat when moored at Yarmouth at low-water,

etc (but that is what the forum is here for, after all that is how I got involved)...

Hopefully they will have been given a bit more instruction in their Boat Manual, and during their handover.

Going through Yarmouth is fairly easy if you know of its problems and allow for them.

But what about those who hire when the tide times are very early / very late and are tempted to go for it at the wrong state of the tide...

All in all I still reckon that it is better to do North or South in a week or book for two weeks to do them both.

Hi jill

Thanks for the info, the video I have seen before I even have BA leaflets about crossing, maybe next year, but then again next year

I'd like to go out of season & spend evry night in our favourite moorings of our last 2 trips on the north & less nights in boatyards.

It wasn't as busy as I was expecting it to be, the biggest problem was dayboats they were everywhere. (A lot less about last September).

They seem to be on a mission to cover the whole broads in one day unlike hire & private boats who usually have a week.

They take up a lot of mooring space too I'm sure in some places they could have moored up stern on to create a bit more space.

Our biggest hurdle this year was to get under Ludham Bridge we had 8'6" airdraft. I'm pleased to say we did it both ways & hand the boat back with it's roof intact.

It's right what everyone said about the markers it showed 8'6" going up we were 45 mins before low water & nowhere to moor up so we approached gingerly

& had 3" above us as we went through.

Coming back we were 2 hrs early for low water & the markers showed 8' luckily we could moor up, but the boat we had followed down river a dual steer which looked

as high as us went through, then another one came the other way so I asked his airdraft & he said 8'9" so that was it if they can do it so can we so we were on our way.

Weird we still had 3" above us. Relieved we were through it then dawned on me I hadn't been to the Butchers or The Dog Inn which I have heard such good things about

but with no moorings the other side we will have to save that for next year.

Having got through early we were lucky enough to get the last mooring at Womack Staithe which was beautiful.