Tree Maintenance On The River Ant

Andrewcook

It does, but I’m not sure how often it’s done, and the rate of re-growth can be very surprising.

I can recall the year when we had our first cruiser hire in March thinking how much cutting back had been done on the upper Ant. It looked quite brutal. When we sailed past (on a sailey obviously) the following July the cutting back was hardly noticeable, so much new growth had sprung up. On that July holiday, on our way back down the Ant, we got stuck in a tree just above How Hill, our upper rigging having got entangled in the tree. We were very pleased to see that by the following spring that particular tree had disappeared.

Graham said it deserved being cut down. (And he’s normally so forgiving!)

We were also  on on the Broads February 2019 and observed a lot of cutting back going on between Brundall and Bramerton.

There are an awful lot of tree lined rivers, limited resources and limited times of the year when they can be deployed. Must be like painting the Forth Bridge. 

And of course, the big problem is that the BA don't even own the banks on which the trees grow!!!

As always its the EA who have to have a final say and I believe at some stage, even the Forestry Commission (or whatever it is!!) also manage to get their nose in the trough at some stages - but don't quote me on that!!!

1 hour ago, marshman said:

And of course, the big problem is that the BA don't even own the banks on which the trees grow!!!

As always its the EA who have to have a final say and I believe at some stage, even the Forestry Commission (or whatever it is!!) also manage to get their nose in the trough at some stages - but don't quote me on that!!!

Gosh, so much more complicated than I’d realised!