Model Railway Shows 2022

TheQ

Ok It's time to Start this years list, many have been cancelled, including our own.. Though ours  (Broadland Model Railway Club) was not cancelled for Covid, but the hall is no longer available. Also our club open days are a bit undecided yet again due to hall availability... For instance Hoveton Village hall is a covid vaccination centre at the moment..

So the first one is a joint open day by 

Thetford MRC and Bury St Edmonds MRC .

Thetford & District Model Railway Society
  - Club Open Day

Sat 12th March 2022 OPENING TIMES:  10am-4pm

Charles Burrell Centre, Staniforth Road, Thetford, Norfolk IP24 3LH

• Like 1

Next the remaining big show in the area ..

Norwich Model Railway Club
  - Railway Exhibition

Sat 9th April 2022

Hellesdon High School, Middletons Lane, Norwich, Norfolk NR6 5SB

OPENING TIMES:  10am to 4:30pm
ADMISSION:  Adults £6.00       

15 layouts  + trade stands and demonstrations..

Thetford & District Model Railway Society
  - Model Railway Show

Sat 9th July 2022

Charles Burrell Centre, Staniforth Road, Thetford, Norfolk IP24 3LH

OPENING TIMES:  10am-4pm
ADMISSION:  Adults £5.00  Concessions £5.00    Family £10.00 

• 2 months later...

I remember back in the day as a young teenager when I was involved in the MRC - THE Model Railway Club, in Kings Cross, London, and the S Gauge (1/64) Model Railway Society. I was one of a very small band of Junior members, and recall actually being the first ever Junior member of the S Gauge MRS.

They were a great bunch of people, including some ladies even in those days.

The MRC always used to have it annual show in Central Hall, Westminster, by Westminster Abbey at Easter time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bikertov said:

I remember back in the day as a young teenager when I was involved in the MRC - THE Model Railway Club, in Kings Cross, London, and the S Gauge (1/64) Model Railway Society. I was one of a very small band of Junior members, and recall actually being the first ever Junior member of the S Gauge MRS.

They were a great bunch of people, including some ladies even in those days.

The MRC always used to have it annual show in Central Hall, Westminster, by Westminster Abbey at Easter time.

The Model Railway Club is still going strong..

https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/

and you've just missed their show 19-20 March at Ally Pally..

45 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The Model Railway Club is still going strong..

https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/

and you've just missed their show 19-20 March at Ally Pally..

Brings back memories of walking around a very dodgy Kings Cross at the time when I was around 14 years old, going up to Keen House. Also the very first time I got drunk and was 'unwell' because of it ...

The clubhouse building was/is extensive, and their library of books, drawings etc was second to none.

I even see the current President is someone I remember from then.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another show, not quite on the broads but close enough..

The Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway Society
  - Model Railway Exhibition

Sat 6th August 2022

Sheringham High School, Holt Road, Sheringham, Norfolk NR25 8ND,

and another one

Norfolk & Suffolk Narrow Gauge Modellers Group Open Day

Sat 4th June 2022

Barsham & Shipmeadow Village Hall, B1062 Beccles to Bungay Road, Barsham Near Beccles,

Suffolk NR34 8HA

OPENING TIMES:  10.30 - 16.00
ADMISSION:  Adults £3.00  

and two more in October.

Sun 23rd - Bressingham Steam Museum - Model Railway Show 2022
Bressingham Steam Museum, Low Road, Bressingham, Diss, Norfolk

Sat 29th - Sun 30th - Halesworth & District Model Engineering Society - Lowestoft Model Engineering and Model Making Exhibition (Lowmex)
Energy Skills Centre, East Coast College, St. Peters Street, Lowestoft, Suffolk

A family friendly event. Displays by a diverse range of local modelling clubs - 100's of super exhibits, Model Engineering, Traction engines & Lorries, Model Railway Layouts, Boats, Aircraft, Military Modelling, Horology, Steampunk, Daleks and many more. Trade stands, Refreshments & Free Parking. Adults £5.00, Children (12 - 18) £2.00, Accompanied under 12's free. Our Beneficiary is again SOLD (Lowestoft) the workshop for the disabled.

• Thanks 1

September Sun 11th - Halesworth to Southwold Narrow Gauge Railway Society - Blythburgh Model Railway Exhibition & Open Day
Blythburgh Village Hall, London Road, Blythburgh, Suffolk

The Halesworth to Southwold Narrow Gauge Railway Society first Model Railway Exhibition will be held at Blythburgh Village Hall which is situated next to the Southwold Railway Station Site. The exhibition will be held in conjunction with the station site open day with Free guided tours of the Station Site and all being well a loco will be doing shunting demonstrations on the newly laid track. A number of layouts & Exhibits will be on show in the hall.

On 05/05/2022 at 12:01, TheQ said:

Thought you might like that , That's why I mentioned it..

Well thank you very much indeed TheQ !

I went along to the open day a the MRC today, the first time I have been there in 35-40 years 

It was pretty much as I remembered it, the same, but changed. Certainly the building is a lot smaller than I remember it as a youngster ...

The main layouts are different understandably, but the test tracks are the same ones from way back then, although re-laid since then. The library is in the same room, but some what expanded in volumes. The bar and lecture room are the same, almost unchanged

The best thing was there were some people there that I remembered from when I was a Junior Member of the MRC and the S Scale MRS, including the current and a past President - and they actually remembered me.  Had a lovely chat and catch up with them and some others. 

One day I might even take up railway modelling again - but not till after I get my boat !!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

One of the Cunard vessels has a O gauge railway running round the bar, perhaps an N gauge model railway running round your future cabin?

My brother in his home office has a raised removeable shelf sitting along the length of his desk, that he has some track and runs simple Hornby rolling stock. 

I can see that translating into a boat environment quite easily, run from the leisure batteries of course - but do Hornby do 'marinised' locos, controls and track ? Maybe there is an interesting niche in the market we have discovered here ...

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pleased to announce that Broadland Model Railway club will be holding an Open day at the Poppy Centre, aka Stalham community Gym , on the 28th August. The entrance fee I think will be about £3 to cover the hall hire costs, (accompanied children free) We hope in future to expand this into a full show... 

Provisionally we are also looking at having Something at Hoveton in the spring of 2023

If you've never heard of the Poppy Centre http://www.thepoppycentre.co.uk/ it's off Brumstead rd in Stalham, I think most visitors will come in off the A149 on Stepping stone lane, then turn right towards Stalham on Brumstead rd, then turn right onto recreation  road to the hall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I can confirm further details for our club open day which is now almost a full show, as we have a guest layout, and two commercial stalls. And the club second hand stall.

£3 to enter, 10:30-16:00, 6 operational layouts 4 under construction , postcode for your navigator NR12 9DE.

A  picture of where it is, the entrance is where it says poppy centre.

staticmap.png.50619c06c47f95c5e4a4d8844d6f337c.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...