A Keel-boat On A Slipway

Colvic

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to moor a 7 ton yacht with a four and a half foot keel in my slipway? 

I am considering a few ideas, like cutting a trench up the middle, constructing a few fixed winch with strops (to hold the boat up when the tide is out) or building a cradle.
The 'strop' idea is attractive to me because it would enable me to work on the hull without having to race against the tide.
Any ever done something similar?

You could try Yacht legs (http://coxeng.co.uk/cruising/installing-yacht-legs/) but I'd suggest having a good google before to understand how to do it (and it would really be better to bolt through and then tie them together when the tides out. You could also try and scaffolding cradle athough thats probably easier  to make up when shes out so you can get the profile (seen a few where the poles go through - (Lived beside a yacht club and some had no fear!).

Obviously a scrubbing dock where you can lean up against something is better although I've still seen many go over from doing that (where the keel slides out and over they go). Needless to say be careful working underneath when doing any of this, it is of course a lot safer to lift out and chock up. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much -  I had never thought about yacht legs even though my boat once had them fitted.

The only problem I can see is that the 'river end' of my slip is very deep soft mud, and I cannot get the boat far enough up the concrete slip to avoid it

It has just occured to me that 'yacht legs' are to balance the boat to stop it falling over - not to support the weight.   

When the tide on the River Yare drops it would leave the front of the boat on the concrete slip and the aft end would drop with the tide - still in the water.  I need to keep her level.

31 minutes ago, Colvic said:

It has just occured to me that 'yacht legs' are to balance the boat to stop it falling over - not to support the weight.   

When the tide on the River Yare drops it would leave the front of the boat on the concrete slip and the aft end would drop with the tide - still in the water.  I need to keep her level.

You would need to support the keel and ensure there's no one point of contact on the hull, it's not easy to do safely without knowing the profile. It feels like yacht legs and a slipway that dry's fully is what you need. 

Hi If you are half on and half off the slip way what ever you do you will be constrained by the height of tide when you return to your mooring perhaps a different mooring may be the best thing or ware you can moor side on against two upright pole's. John

Thanks John, what I need to be able to do is to support the boat horizontally when the tide drops to enable me to work on it for a few weeks.
I own the mooring and slip so I do not want to move my boat, I also have friends who would find some arrangement useful for work on their boats.
I think a system of telegraph pole piles, strops and winches may be my best option

• Like 1