cleaning upholstery

Guest Jonny

I had no idea where to put this so here goes

we want to clean the saloon cushions we brought back from LadyL & wanted to know what would be the best way

they were made by jackals of wroxham a white cotton fabric with a leather back with a zip in the middle then just foam with no cover over it on the inside....

would it be best to just whack the cover off & bung them in the washer or keep the cushion as it is clean it with the wet/dry carpet shampooer & dry them off??

Jonny

So much depends on the fabric, Johnny.

We've steam cleaned some before to fabulous effect - we've also got some magic fabric cleaninig solution that works extremely well.

Bring them over and we can demo it / sell you some if you like.

Alternatively, we've also washed them in the machine before.

Andy

Whatever you do Jonny, do not wet leather until its soaking wet. You can wash the surface of leather with Saddle soap available from any Equestrian store,just follow the instructions on the box, but i dont quite know what you mean by it having a cotton layer, is this an inner cover over the foam, or is it sewn together and attached to the leather?

If you wash the cotton covers separately and off the foam, and they are made from pure cotton they maywell shrink.

Its difficult to advise fully without seeing them or at least a few piccys, but in the caravan we do an annual spring clean of the fabric upholstry using a couple of cans of the 'Vanish' foam type upholstry cleaner (comes from most supermarkets and is in a bright pink aerosol can) that you spray on, work in with a small sponge, leave to dry a few hours then vac off, and it works quite well at lifing out the everyday dirt and grime and leaves them smelling nice too. However, i would not use this on leather :)

Julz :wave

hi jonny

is it leather or leatherette

jill

all i know its grey blue feels like leather its not the stuff on helm seats of fly bridge cushions doesn't feel plastic enough

Jonny

No it's not leather Jonny, mine are backed in similar stuff cheers

i dont know what the stuff it jimbob looks like leather feels like leather smells like leather must be leather until im told otherwise :lol::lol::oops::oops:

Jonny

Jonny, I would not try taking the covers off to put them in a washing machine thats for sure :naughty:

As the leather/vinyl is only on the undersides, I would just wipe it over using a well wrung out damp soapy cloth, then leave exposed to the air to dry out completely. The tops and sides I would use the 'vanish' dry foam type cleaner, then vac it off when completely dry, you may need to do it twice over if they are very grubby, but it is good at shifting dirt, grime and stains. If you wet them too much, you risk either sending the insides mildewed due to the foam sucking up the wash water, or you could accidently shrink them and they may split at the seams as they dry.

Good luck with the task anyway cheers

Julz :wave

I hope that wasn't some kind of Freudian slip Jonny. :lol:

Think Jackalls is a good description - They will probably try and charge you for a phone call :grin: !

Johnny I've always founf that a fairly weak solution of G101 cleans just about everything. If all else fails! It is designed for commercially cleaning upholstery and if you buy it unbranded you can get 5 ltrs for around £10 - this dilutes enormously and will clean the outside of the boat too!

Think Jackalls is a good description - They will probably try and charge you for a phone call :grin: !

Johnny I've always founf that a fairly weak solution of G101 cleans just about everything. If all else fails! It is designed for commercially cleaning upholstery and if you buy it unbranded you can get 5 ltrs for around £10 - this dilutes enormously and will clean the outside of the boat too!

dads was a valeter so has plenty of G101 around the house

jonny