A Visit To Walsingham

ExSurveyor

Yesterday we decided to visit Walsingham after Matron had read a book based there.

It is a very interesting place, it has the Abbey ruins, old courthouse, oldest original Methodist chapel, two Greek lead Orthodox churches, one based at the old railway station. The Shrine to Our Lady of Walsingham.

The Shrine is high Anglican and Roman Catholic, it also incorporates an area for the Russion Orthodox church. The building is from the 1930s and replaced the original destroyed Holy house with later extensions.  The original well was uncovered during the 1930s work and is incorporated into the building.

Although the village is very quiet,  the shrine and grounds are enclosed and very peaceful.

The whole area has been a place of pilgrimage for centuries.

The CoE church is very old but feels more modern as it was rebuilt in the 1960's after a fire but is also High Church.

Most properties are a few hunderd years old and are well preserved.

Well worth a visit.

The Abbey ruinsIMG_20230809_130052.jpg

IMG_20230809_134003.jpg

IMG_20230809_141536.jpg

The CoE parish church

IMG_20230809_142645.jpg

The original font, defaced during the Reformation.

IMG_20230809_143537.jpg

IMG_20230809_144431.jpg

Interiors of the Shrine.

IMG_20230809_150833.jpg

IMG_20230809_150914.jpg

• Like 5

Gives me an idea for a ride out on my bike, too.  Had a little ride to Horning today.  Was surprisingly quiet when I arrived . . . . . . but unsurprisingly there were no spaces on the staithe!

Had a latte and a bacon and sausage bap from the takeaway on the corner of the green and watched the boats go by for a while before riding home.  Hoveton/Wroxham was heaving though , with traffic tailing back to Roy’s garage heading for the town centre.

It had clouded over considerably whilst I was there, but past the Thickthorn interchange, the sky was blue and not a cloud to be seen!

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0689.jpeg

• Like 2