Boat Brokers

dom

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Even for 25 yr old Broads boats you will probably need to up your budget by some margin -  its also a difficult size range - halfway between the two markets of sub 30 footers and then the 35' and above.

Age doesn't really bother me too much (within reason), it's just a question of finding the right boat which has the right sort of shortcomings. I fully expected to have to repaint the AF32 and refit a lot of interior - but the engine alignment/possible gearbox issue was an issue too far. I'm not sure NYA had noticed the extent of the issue.

The Sancerre on the Ouse was 1980 and in really nice condition externally. I suspect it'll make someone a very nice boat, to the extent that I'll probably go back and leave my number in case the sale falls through!

It's evident from Waterside's old listings that quite a few suitable boats have sold within budget in the last few years. It just seems that my timing is off and the market isn't as slow as it should be right now. Logic says people ought to be trying to offload boats now, as we're heading towards the end of the season, but that's not the case. NS actually listed an old '83 Aquafibre 35 on Friday and it had sold within 24 hours. I can't help but think they underestimated the market and let it go too cheap.

I can tell you that typically, ex Broads boats, tend to have interest before they are listed - NYA seem to know the market,as indeed do, I suspect others, that they are virtually presold, even in the current market. You have to remember that most sales are to people who have long paid off their mortgages!

Just because the newspapers are full of dire tales of poverty and such like, and interest levels are high, I think it unlikely that boat prices will come tumbling down - it didn't happen in 2008 and it doesn't look as though its going to happen again. Ok - some boats may hang around, and in some cases,owners have unrealistic expectations, just like houses, but good quality Broads boats, will sell relatively easily at the right price.

Make sure you leave your number with the Brokers and discuss with them what you want - you may be surprised. Invariably they know the market well and with correctly priced boats, will have a list of prospective purchasers as soon as one pops up!

• Like 2