Picture This - Not A Photo, Not A Broad, Not A...

On 15/01/2024 at 09:27, Turnoar said:

2C4640CA-863C-4875-B2E7-7EE0D23BA4B9.jpeg

Just happened to notice this today. EDP image from 1975 showing Hoveton Precinct with Wroxham Galleries. I think that's the same shop which became a Wimpy, so I'd assume they closed not long after, as I remember visiting the Wimpy in the late 70s.

wroxham-precinct-1975.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting that pic Dom, having studied it I must confess struggling to get me bearings, is Lloyd’s now the post office/ store and same day now Costa’?

I think Brian Robert relocated to Castle Meadow in Norwich but we can still get a short back and sides at “Modern Man”?

Precincts were all the rage back when we were in nappies but I must say I hadn’t pictured an art gallery being part of the montage!

The photo is shot from roughly between the door to Modern Man (which I think was run by a bloke called Tony for many years?) and the Hotel Wroxham entrance. Lloyds is now Betfred. The Post Office is just out of shot top right. Costa is just out of shot top left. Same day was later "The Book & Stationery Centre" and is now a Turkish barbers.

Nice Walnut Whip advert in the middle if I'm not mistaken.

There used to be two phone boxes on the right, where we regularly congregated as kids. I've spent far too many drunken hours sat on those benches in years gone by!

• Like 2