Picture This - Not A Photo, Not A Broad, Not A...

... stitch up, well no not exactly perhaps, rather an intarsia challenge. No prizes, except maybe a bag of mixed wool and some needles from the local charity shop!

Genuinely interested to know where forumites think this may have been, and a bonus ball for the name of who might have knitted it (no signature I’m athraid...).

C5DC064D-6B29-4385-BBEC-6D9E3CD654EC.jpeg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, dom said:

First thought I had was a very old view of Horning Reach and the "big stick" is the chimney for Horning steam mill.

Great to get an alternative as I’m not 100% it’s Thurne, the stick looks too thick for a wherry mast and even a telegraph pole!

2 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Possibly,

You might be framed but it would be a stitch up, you could try to canvas support.

Now you're giving me the needle - so don't try and pull the wool over my eyes. You're not painting a very good picture of the situation here.

• Haha 3

The chalet looks like the "bishop's bungalow" at Thurne but I don't think so.  There is (or was) another building like that, all on it's own, at the top of the moorings on the south bank above Acle bridge. It was owned by the Ames family, who owned Maidie at the time.

It is obviously a steam pump chimney, which could have been near Upton dyke, as  replacement for the old wind pump there, on the east bank.

The yachts are not racing, as one is towing a dinghy.  They are probably hire boats but I don't recognise the pennant, or the emblem on one of the sails.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bikertov said:

So if I go off topic here, would it be classed as actual thread drift  :default_coat:

Thread drift? No way, it’s obviously blowing a hooley, the dinghy under tow looks to be almost on the plane!

I think I’ve only ever managed to take a photo that captures the wind strength once and that was at the three rivers race that was blown out, 2002 or thereabouts.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Or it might have been the chalet bungalow just up from Womack dyke, on the Thurne.  I am not sure if that is still there now.

Toad Hall? If the one I’m thinking it was rebuilt circa 10 or more years ago, was a large wooden motor cruiser sunk next to it for a long time. To the righthand side of the Womack entrance from Thurne?

Was the Ames bungalow at Acle situated at what is now the site of Northern Rivers SC perhaps?

28 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

To the righthand side of the Womack entrance from Thurne?

Was the Ames bungalow at Acle situated at what is now the site of Northern Rivers SC perhaps?

Yes, and yes!  I have an old photo of Maidie sailing past the Ames bungalow but I am not sure quite where to find it!

• Like 1

Continuing this fine thread, can anybody picture where from once it came?

Pure guess on my part but was it what is now the classic car showroom on the opposite side of the road to Broads Tours? The art place now next door looks to be a refurb but I can’t recall if that was just part of the garage setup before they setup up in Hoveton?

2C4640CA-863C-4875-B2E7-7EE0D23BA4B9.jpeg

Phone numbers changed to 6 digits in the early 80s. David Wall was opposite Broads Tours until 1990, when they built the current premises on Littlewood Lane industrial estate. The garage used to be where the current Art&Glass place is and I'm sure they always had an array of vintage cars in the showroom which they still use now. I don't think there were any buildings on the left hand side of the site in those days - a lad I knew from school worked there (and still does) and I think his car was always parked on that side.

I checked the London Gazette and the notice to strike off is there in 1982, but no sign of an address unfortunately.

I'm fairly sure there used to be a high end antiques store on Grange Walk - probably in or around the old dairy in front of Windboats. I suspect it might be related to that.

• Like 1

Was looking around for images of the area, as I wanted to remind myself what David Wall's used to look like. Found the second image down on this page:

https://sprowstonhistory.weebly.com/norwich-road-wroxham.html

I'd actually forgotten that it used to have petrol pumps at one time.

Can also see the houseboats on Bridge Broad. One of them was lived in by a very dodgy character who spent half his time in prison and was rumoured to be the person to go to if you wanted to buy illicit firearms!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Continuing this fine thread, can anybody picture where from once it came?

Pure guess on my part but was it what is now the classic car showroom on the opposite side of the road to Broads Tours? The art place now next door looks to be a refurb but I can’t recall if that was just part of the garage setup before they setup up in Hoveton?

2C4640CA-863C-4875-B2E7-7EE0D23BA4B9.jpeg

At the risk of sounding a bit daft (which has never been a barrier anyway!) have you looked for the phone number? Round here, when the numbers went to 6 digits they just added two numbers on the front and they are still the same today.

• Like 1

Not daft at all, I did Google it with the Norwich area code and 78 tacked in front but nothing came up. It’s such a long time since the business wound up unfortunately but I did wonder if it might have been reincarnated at the David Wall premises.

Still, that it was good enough to maybe grace the walls, or framing room, of a fine art dealer perhaps next to other noted Broadland artists such as Batchelder or Roland Green, without even so much as a signature, is warming to know.

I wonder if I should remove the back and see if there’s a note inside…

3 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Not daft at all, I did Google it with the Norwich area code and 78 tacked in front but nothing came up.

I seem to remember that Blakes office number in Hoveton was Wroxham 2871. My number in Womack was St Benets 323. Have you tried adding a 6 in front of it?

Going back to the diamond on the sail, it occurs to me that it would have been difficult to stitch a star, that didn't look like a diamond. When Southgates was owned by Herbert Woods (which were both owned by the Caister Group), they hired their yachts with a red star instead of the Herbert Woods blue star. So this yacht could well have been a Herbert Woods Fine Lady, but hired out from Southgates.

I imagine this needlework must have been based on a photo, or maybe a painting, so this would date it as late 60's, in the days just after Jenners closed down.

I’ll give 6 a try and see what number comes in.

Yes, I was wondering about Southgate's, if not a Summer Breeze then one of the half deckers if they also carried the logo, Splash perhaps?

Thanks for looking out the catalogues!