The Worst Noise ?

Tinkle, tinkle, splash. Or in the case Saturday, bump, thud, splash as my electric ( battery ) drill went over the side.

I was working on the boat at the mooring, and the battery had died, so I took it down to charge and must have rocked the boat. Couldn't find my recovery magnet, and the drill was mostly plastic / rubber cased. Ah well, it was getting old ( reasonable make though ), down to one battery - bite to bullet and off to Screwfix for a replacement.

Having got back, I finished the job, tidied away and then found the magnet. Had a poke around with the boat hook and felt an object - and a few goes latter including several 'ones that got away' manged to oh so gently lift if out with the magnet gripping the chuck jaws - about the only metal part.

Took it below, stripped it, dried it, rebuilt it ( those planetary gears with gear change are interesting ! )  - and hey presto, it lives ! The battery being off was probably the saving grace. So I now have a tatty and best drill :12_slight_smile:

• Like 16

Oh that is a horrible feeling - that I had similar last week !

I came back from the BOC meeting in Brundall, and was stopping in St.Ives to stay overnight on the boat. It was late - 10:30pm and pitch black - as I got to the boat and unlocked.

To turn on the battery isolators, I have to lift a hatch at the back in the rear cockpit, and step / crouch down inside. It was dark, so to see I put the torch on from my phone. And then duly dropped the phone down into the bilge.

The torch was still on, so I could see it, but couldn't reach it, as it was just too low in the keel, but not quite submerged. Using the boathook, I gently lifted one end and could just touch it enough to get a loose grip and lift it up. 

Luckily, only the edge was wet, so no damage done, but a very close call !

• Like 3

I feel your pain, I dropped my phone into the bilge a few weeks ago, only it bounced under a moulded tray beneath the water pump & pressure vessel, out of sight. Managed to rod it out from the other side, but not before having to dismantle the steps down into the galley to create access. Lesson learnt, keep phones away from open hatches!!

• Like 1