Jimbo (james Burnet)

Sadly I have just been informed of the passing of my good mate James 'Jimbo' Burnet (pictured below at the helm of various boats) aged just 54.

He will be well known to many of you and used to be a moderator on NBN in the early days.

Many of you will have fond memories of him, particularly in the days when he owned Inca (also known as the Big Green Cruising Machine) and was a regular at forum events.

@Dan and I have had many, many boating adventures with him on the Broads and canals and he will be sadly missed.

Can't quite believe he's gone.

IMG_0044.jpg

20160611_171021.jpg

DSC_4972.jpg

• Sad 8

I too admit to being totally in shock, and sad to think that when I messaged him a Haines 29 sedan to get excited by earlier this evening he would sadly have already have left us.

He was a funny, funny man but also had a mass of endearing qualities and layers that always ensured an enjoyable time be had in his company.

It seems far too early to depart, but I hope amongst many other things that he will forgive me for setting off at full power on a Bounty 40 when he had a mooring rope around his foot, and I maintain that I truly did not know at the time, and there rests the case for the defence, your honour.  The little dance and pantomime of that time, and many others will stay with me forever and bring a smile and a laugh to my heart, even on a very very sad day.

God bless you James, 

Dan

• Like 1

There were just so many good times over the years.

I first met James in 2007 at Horning Ferry Inn as we were all headed for the NBF summer meet. We spent a fair bit of time together that meet and the following year we were again in convoy and ended up leaving the meet and having our own gathering at Upton with his mates and @jimbob88.

Lucy and I had a few boating outings with him aboard Inca and then as Dan, James and I really got to know one another through being on the mod team we did a few meets and breaks aboard his Bounty 34 Traveller 'Inca'.

When James sold Inca at the end of 2012, we switched to hiring and after a few Broads holidays we started our canal adventures. There were quite a lot of those, too.

Still trying to process it....