Hi everyone

davekms

At the moment I don't have a boat, but I hope to remedy that in the not too distant future. While I'm looking for the right boat, I'm also searching for a mooring, I've only been given one quote and that was with Waterside Marine, were I was enquiring about one of their boats for sale. That was £1200 to £1400 per year. I'm afraid that being a pensioner that's too steep for me. Does anyone know of a more reasonable priced mooring? I'd be grateful of any help or advice on buying a boat and of course mooring fees.

Hope to be with you all very soon.

Dave

Hi Dave.

As to cost of mooring fees...... They do depend on the length of the

boat and where you moor it!

Charges are usually per foot/metre length overall and whether you

have/want electric and water and also onsite toilets and showers.

We are in Wroxham and pay around £2000 per year but have everything

described above.

Our boat is 31ft and our annual costs with all the above + river tolls,

insurance and routine maintenance is near £3000 per annum and I

do most of the maintenance myself(being a retired fitter).

Is it worth it? Bet your socks it is!

Edited to say...Make sure when you ask for quotes it includes VAT!

Many don't mention it! Your £1400 could be £1680 :shocked

The lenght of two boats I'm interested in are 27' and 29'. Seeing what you are paying Bill took my breath away, but seeing all the facilities you have at your mooring I guess it's like a home from home, but I won't be spending too much personal time on the mooring, when I'm there I'll be out on the river. Good point Alan, I'm not sure wether they included VAT or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a tight wad, I'm a pensioner with savings, but they have to last me until the day I ...... Well you know ;)

I recently lost my wife, so I now have a lot of spare time and I intend to spend as much time on the Broads as possible. Looking forward to that day :grin:

Dave

Hello Dave,

Sorry I did not welcome you to the forum.

You say that the quote for mooring was from Waterside Marine, was this for mooring at Potter heigham or Horning?

I have looked on their website and they do not mention mooring. I may be wrong but are Waterside Marine part of Herbert Woods, if this is the case they I am sure they would find you a spot if you bought a boat from them.

I can well understand that you would wish to spend as much time on the water as possible. You may have more luck in searching for a mooring on the Northern Broads for a boat between 25 and 27 foot. If you do not require much in the way of facilities have you looked at some of the river side mooring such as those below Acle for example.

I know when we were looking for two 34 foot moorings about 3 years ago we could not find any other than the marina we moved from, needless to say we are now moored on the southern rivers at Brundall.

Please let us know how you get on with regards to a boat and where you end up mooring.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Yes I think Waterside Marine are part of Herbert Woods. My first time on the Broads was in 1972, with a hire boat from Herbert Woods.

My plans are on hold for the moment. My daughter-in-law is in the final stages of pregnancy and I'm on standby to look after their 22 month old son while she and my son are in the hospital. There have been three false alarms so far! So until the little angel decides to make an appearance I'm having to be patient.

Thinking about it I will probably go with the mooring at HW, mainly because I think it will be secure there. There will also be the other two facilities I will need most, water and pump out.

I will update my plans as soon as I know when I can arrange to travel down to Potter Heigham.

Best regards,

Dave