repaint steel barge

Hello JP,

I would have thought that any of the boatyards with crainage or with adry dock could undertake this type of work.

Are you just wanting the bottom done or will it be all of the boat? Usually on just the bottom most companies that do this type of work regularly charge by the foot.

If you are having the boat out of the water it may be wise to test the thickness of the bottom plates in case you need any repairs done before painting.

Are you also replacing the anodes?

Regards

Alan

Are you just replacing the blacking, or do you want to repaint the topsides/superstructure as well?

If you want to get back to bare metal (in order to coat with something like Zinga or another zinc-rich primer and/or go to two pack epoxy blacking) then shot blasting is the best way to do this. I don't know of any yards that do that in-house on the Broads, but you may find one that's willing to allow an outside contractor in to do the job, and a quick google shows that there are mobile shot blasters that cover this area (I've never used any of them so can't recommend one unfortunately). I know the last time I was at Wayford Bridge there was a converted BCN dayboat on the hard, so they can certainly lift a canal boat.

If you do want to get the hull surveyed at the same time, then I'm a qualified surveyor and have an ultrasonic thickness tester (a DeFelsko PosiTector ME if anyone's really interested). I don't normally do hull-only surveys, but could probably work something out.