Brundall: Outboards Stolen After 13 Boats Targeted

Guest Snuggtopz

lifted from another forum

These latest thefts seem to follow the same pattern as others recently with a small boat being used to access the marinas concerned:

Thieves have targeted more than a dozen boats in Brundall according to a report in Archant's local newspaper - The Yarmouth Advertiser.

Nine outboard engines were stolen from vessels moored at Bells Dyke, near Bells Boatyard, overnight on Friday, December 28 while other stolen equipment included batteries, fuel cans, steering controls and a hand-held VHF radio.

At least 13 boats were targeted and officers believe a small boat was used to transport the stolen items to the church moorings in Brundall a short distance away, which is accessed via a footpath in Church Lane.

PC Jon Hopes, from the Broadsbeat team, said: “We want to hear from anyone who may have witnessed these incidents or noticed people acting suspiciously in the area in the days leading up to it.

“We would ask boat owners to make sure they are taking the necessary security measures as the winter months approach.

“Historically at this time of year we tend to see a rise in thefts but boat owners can take simple steps to protect their property by removing all valuables and the outboard engine.”

Witnesses should call PC Hopes on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Anyone who lost an outboard in this round of thefts come and see me at the Mariners Store

I will sell you a Hidea outboard at cost if you need one..

Richard

I have been told that this crime is suspected to be the work of easten europeans who fly in, rent a van, do the deed and then ship the outboards straight out of the country on the next available tide. Aparently, there's a wave of it around the country.

This is second hand info given to me by someone who got it from the police.

Anyone who lost an outboard in this round of thefts come and see me at the Mariners Store

I will sell you a Hidea outboard at cost if you need one..

Richard

That's a really splendid offer, Richard! :clap:clap:clap

And to those of us who don't know a lot about the brand here's a taster:

Hidea is proud to offer the following features on all engines:

•Upto 4 years Guarantee

•Innovative Design

•Modern, Sleek appearance

•CDI Ignition System - Provides instant start and smooth operation.

•High precision air intake provides low noise & smooth operation.

•Fuel efficiency

•Sensitive temperature controller

•Charging Coils

•Anti-Corrision - Engines are manufatured using high quality aluminium alloy & stainless steel, in addition to a unique pre-treatment that is applied for extra durability.

•Safety Protection - Over 700 hours have been dedicated to develop the safety of this product, and each unit is thoroughly tested before distribution.

I have been told that this crime is suspected to be the work of eastern Europeans who fly in, rent a van, do the deed and then ship the outboards straight out of the country on the next available tide. Apparently, there's a wave of it around the country.

This is second hand info given to me by someone who got it from the police.

The sudden "wave" of it would certainly support that theory.

All of the reported incidents seem to be 4 stroke, and manhandle-able, up to say, 15hp. Each one with a new value of about two grand.

So a van full would be quite a haul.

Really makes me angry. I am refraining from using expletives! but it does not surprise me 20hp and under are very easy to take they do not take long to get off when you are taking care so i would guess these thieves spend less than 5mins per engine. Taking them off is the only real answer if you bolt it on then your going to still loose the engine as well as have your transome cut!

Hidea outboards, I have not had any experience with these but I hope the 'Anti corrosion' and high grade of Aluminium is true and not just sales talk. I have seen a Parson outboard (Chinese yamaha copy) After one season from new in fresh water with no other boats around it nor shore power, its paint was all lifting off the leg and although parts for this engine were easy to obtain and interchangeable with Yamaha the castings are made of such poor quality grade material that calling it Aluminium is a bit insulting! I found this to my cost and will not be touching one again.

Please note this experience was of Parson not Hidea

I have seen a Parson outboard (Chinese yamaha copy) After one season from new in fresh water with no other boats around it nor shore power, its paint was all lifting off the leg and although parts for this engine were easy to obtain and interchangeable with Yamaha the castings are made of such poor quality grade material that calling it Aluminium is a bit insulting! I found this to my cost and will not be touching one again.

Please note this experience was of Parson not Hidea

I agree there's certainly a question mark over many Chinese "copies" of other mechanical items.

(and I would also like to make it clear that I have no knowledge or experience of Hidea products).

A few years ago, Honda tried manufacturing some of their small motorbikes in China, under license. As I understand it, they have now ceased doing that, for whatever reason, but the Chinese are still openly selling counterfeit copies of many small Honda bikes, "Lifan" etc..

As already mentioned, the component parts are identical in dimensions and functionality, so are interchangeable with the genuine Honda parts. There's been a lot of discussion on bike forums about their quality though.

hiya

I do agree the comments on copy engines, it would be silly not to. Hidea do come with a 2 year labor warranty and 4 year parts but as they haven't been around for that long only time will tell if they are any good. I did have one customer come into my shop last season who loved his 2.5hp, he was very pleased with it.

Having said that I do remember Tohatsu were an engine to be avoided at one time and now I believe they are quite well respected.

Regards

Richard

I've heard about the Eastern European group as well, but IIRC their MO is to target much bigger outboards (150-200 HP), probably with a view to selling them on to groups engaged in people or drug smuggling. Whilst the new value of a 15HP outboard is about £2,000, the amount you can get for a used one of uncertain provenance is a fair bit less, so I'm not certain that even a haul like this would be worth their time and trouble. I suspect the latest spate of thefts is probably the work of more local criminals, taking advantage of the lack of people around at this time of year.