Norfolk films from the 1940s & 1950s

AdnamsGirl

Not strictly the Broads, but I thought these might be of interest to some.

I've finally got round to editing some of my grandfathers collection of cine films which I had transferred about six years ago! He was a very keen amateur cine-photographer and captured some amazing footage of Norfolk life during the 1940s and 1950s. He apparently used to create a makeshift cinema in the bakehouse (he was a baker) to show his films. I didn't really know my grandfather - he died when I was four - but he left an amazing legacy in these films which are a fantastic piece of local social history. I've still got some more to work on but here are a few of those which I have done:

The first one was filmed on a relatives farm at Waxham and dates from the early 1950s. It includes some great colour footage of gathering the harvest in the second half of the film.

The second one is a compilation of film he shot of the Royal Norfolk Show. I've listed this as being 1950s, but think some of it may actually be late 1940s as I think there are at least three or four different shows here:

This is one of my favourites and is some rare footage taken during the harsh winter of 1947. He filmed the people of Diss in South Norfolk skating on the frozen over Mere. The thaw which came was quick and he filmed the resulting floods in the Waveney Valley, traveling on the old main road from Diss to Bungay filming scenes of flooded fields and roads, the swollen river at Shotford Bridge and a submerged Bungay Football Club pitch. It's a remarkable record of that winter.

And finally, for NCFC or Ipswich fans - is this the earliest known footage of a Norwich vs Ipswich match? There are actually two different matches at Carrow Road here - the first was labelled as Norwich v Ipswich. Having done some limited research on the kits being worn, I think this mat actually be a wartime friendly match, so late 30s or early 40s. The kit had changed by the second match seen so I think this is later. It's not the greatest quality bit of film but I've uploaded it as I thought it might be of historic interest to fans.

Carol

Fantastic footage Carol, many thanks for sharing it with us. A fascinating record of the times. I don’t suppose many people had TV’s etc in these days so obviously spent more time outside! The big freeze footage was really interesting too and the terrible flooding afterwards. I wonder if you would get away with filming a football match these days? Probably have a posse of Sky solicitors after you :naughty:

Great stuff :grin:

cheersbar

An Anglia News reporter contacted me last week after I posted links to these films on Twitter - they ran a piece about them on tonight's programme:

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2013-02-18/films-show-life-in-1940s-norfolk/

As hard as he tried to persuade me to be interviewed on camera about it, I refused! :o

Thankfully they found a local historian who stepped in - it's a lovely little tribute to my grandfather and the legacy he left.

Carol