computes with no mains power

If you used a Jennie and used the Transformer the laptop came with and a surge adaptor, that would also be ok, Im certain that laptops run off their internal battery, even when connected to the mains. THis is why they dont crash when you pull the mains cable out with the laptop still running.

Guest Oiler
I'm certain that laptops run off their internal battery, even when connected to the mains.

100% correct Brian :wave

Rgs. Dick

dont know if im doing the right thing but.................

i pull the power cable out after ive shutdown last thing .......

then when i start up the next day i let the comp go almost flat and then plug in and leave it in till last thing

its good to know the power options ins and outs ......

supose there is the solar or wind power option too

jill

Jill,

I run my laptop from a variety of sources, genny/mains/invertors etc. Never had any real probs as my beastie does not seems to care as long as some power is available.

When I posted the pic's of the carribean hols, they where sent while running off the somewhat flaky ps of our on board genny but the laptops own adaptor seemed to have no probs in coping.

I would be interested to hear if any other members have experienced any issues on this subject.

There is a fable circulating that invertors seem to have more problems than any other power source, not convinced as I have had no probs.

One other thought is that laptop battery life can be affected by inconsistant and different types of power inputs, any comments appreciated

Regards

Andy

Guest Oiler

If the battery pack consists of Ni-Cad cells then yes they should be run down before recharging. Ni-Cads suffer from a 'memory effect'. Ni-MH cells on the other hand do not suffer from this effect and also have a greater capacity, these can safely be topped up at any state of discharge, they are also more expensive and unlikely to be used in a 'budget' machine.

Rgs. Dick

since i started this thread its made me realise how little i know about the care of my laptop

if id spent £500 on any other piece of equipment im sure i would have checked it out chapter and verse

i might have even read the manual :o but i prefer to get personal experiences from those in the know.

thanks peeps

jill :clap

Jill There is a theory in the caravan world that some generators can damage the "zig type" electronic battery chargers. I believe the more expensive generators may use an inverter type circuit. It is just possible the same could happen to the switch mode power supply on a pc or lappy For that reason I have never run a pc from the 240 volt output of my cheapy genny but powered it via an inverter. Likewise rather than plug the caravan into the 240 volt outlet of the generator to top up the battery I prefer to use the 12 volt output and turn off the "zig"

Anyone any thoughts on this

Brian an expensive laptop there are always pros & cons only problem is you have to find these out for yourself and later down the line :-D :naughty::naughty:

When i ordered it i didnt know it could not be used away from a Power Station :(

Its a Alienware with SLI cards, great for .. everything but not on the move :( im a little bit anoyed, as i bought it to use on the boat,

I havent tried one of those chargers yet, im not sure if the power will slowly drain from the battery while it charges slowly or just melt the charger :(