Putting fuel in cars,

loribear

Sorry but this is just a standard chain letter type message, no more then spam.

Hi trambo & reedham , I don't know if it is a chain letter , I actually got it from someone on fbook, but even if it is a chIn letter it is still interesting. Lori , :D

sent from my samsung tab2/ on tapatalk2

I don't know if it is a chain letter

As Reedham has said, it's an email scare scam that's been running for a while now.

Here's a link to a Shell webpage, explaining some of the false accusations.

(Like the delivery hose not returning fuel to the storage tank after metering it).

http://www.shell.com.my/aboutshell/media-centre/clarification/do-not-pump-full-tank-10142005.html

hi lori

its good to remind folks not to believe all they read on the likes of facebook

jill

Hi jill , it may be untrue, but it makes you wonder if you are being charged for the extra fuel as it still keeps coming until you click off, so there still must be some fuel in the pipe from the petrol pump to your car, so it has to go somewhere & thats back into the petrol pump via another tube inside somewhere,lori :D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

it may be untrue, but it makes you wonder if you are being charged for the extra fuel as it still keeps coming until you click off, so there still must be some fuel in the pipe from the petrol pump to your car, so it has to go somewhere & thats back into the petrol pump via another tube inside somewhere,lori  :D

Fuel pumps sense back pressure and automatically stop the flow.

When you fill a car tank up to the brim, the hose inside the car that connects the fuel filler cap to the tank underneath gets air trapped in it, causing the on/off/on/off spurts just as you reach full. 

The fuel isn't running back into the garage, it's still coming out, gradually filling the air pockets in your car's tank and hose.

My boat uses petrol, so I get my fuel from roadside filling stations in two ten litre metal jerricans.

When filling those almost to the brim, there's at least a dozen stop/starts as they reach full, but the  the pump always shows 9.9 litres.

If you're wondering about the fuel in the garage's pump hose and trigger nozzle, that always stays full, before and after delivery to a tank, it doesn't run back. The stop valve is in the nozzle itself.

If it did run back, then when buying 5 litres in a can, you'd be paying for nearly ten !

I do remember reading that its best to fill up when its cold rather than in the heat of the day,

to get the best deal

Yes, that's been mentioned a few times on the web too, but there seems to be divided opinion about it as well.

True enough, a liquid expands with an increase in temperature, and pumps do  measure volume rather than weight.

However, the argument against it is that the storage tanks are underground, containing thousands of gallons of fuel. So the daytime fluctuations in the actual stored fuel temperature will vary very little compared with the above ground air temperature.

The pump nozzle always feels cool after delivery, because of the cold fuel been drawn up out of the ground through it.

My boat uses petrol, so I get my fuel from roadside filling stations in two ten litre metal jerricans.

When filling those almost to the brim, there's at least a dozen stop/starts as they reach full, but the  the pump always shows 9.9 litres.

Hope you allow for the statutory 10% ullage. :naughty:

Hope you allow for the statutory 10% ullage. :naughty:

Ullage ?               with liquid gold ?

No chance !   The airtight flap is firmly closed after filling and later then poured into my boat's tank very carefully with a metal spout,

(The chances of getting blown up focuses the mind too !)   :naughty: