A2 or A4 (316)?

I ordered the bolts from the manufacture of the sterndrive to bolt the transom plate onto the hull and i'm surprised to see that they have sent A2 stainless bolts.. I at least expected A4 (316) considering they will be underwater... Am I wrong and A2 is OK to use underwater?

cheers 

Thanks John (sorry ;).. I found that too.. It's the salt bit of the broads which I thinks complicates things.. although I had a big long chat with the chap about the boat being in brackish water although he still sent A2 so I'm hoping he knows more.. I think I'm going to send back though and get A4.. piece of mind.. 

• Like 1

A4 is better, A2 will cause you no problems, apart from one, avoid A2 nuts as the have a habit of seizing on the threads especially nylocks, they fuse solid and even the likes of a m12 the bolt will sheer before the nut lets go!  

Hi Mark

I know what you mean about stainless Nylocs. I detail structural steelwork for a living for the construction industry, and they prefer to use stainless self-locking nuts, which have a split crown rather than a nylon insert.

One question for you though, I thought I had read that A2 bolts were more prone to cavity corrosion than A4. Has that been your experience too?

A4 for me on boats, every time, especially when immersed.

I rarely use A2 even at home now, because it also has a very frequent problem with welding itself up tight due to "reaction" when first being threaded together .

Something that never happens with A4, or even mixing A4 nuts with A2 bolts or vice-versa.