Garnet Emblem

Broads01

I had an interesting conversation with the hirers of Garnet Emblem on a blustery day at Acle two weeks ago.

I was admiring this near new boat which is aft cockpit but with the unusual addition of a folding hard top. The hirers were outside, seemingly about to fold down the roof. I remarked that I thought it looked to be a good design because it seemed a good alternative to the usual tent contraption. They told me the roof design was terrible! Their report was it was very fiddly and awkward to lower and raise. Not only that, when the roof folds down it swivels forward on to the main cabin roof after which it blocks your view ahead. Nice!

I am not a fan of the appearance, canopy design, wall carpet everywhere, cheap upholstery etc to be honest, though it is good to see some new smaller/aft cockpit designs, in theory.

Whoever came up with the idea of an island bed that almost fits, but not quite so the bottom bit hinges??  Was the pub about to close? :naughty:

On a more positive note I suppose there has been one or two nice looking Funnell designs over the years

Dan

I am quite impressed by Garnet Emblem. 

OK, I have not used it, but the ideas are innovative. 

Lots of couples want a small boat rather than something bigger that they might be wary of handling and having an island bed shoehorned in has got to be a bonus for two people, whether it needs a quick conversion or not. 

Any folding canopy design is going to be somewhat fiddly. 

Hats off to Len for developing a boat at this end of the market.  

I know a Garnet is a gemstone but all I see when I read this thread is Alf Garnet with a knotted hanky on his head!!

Has a look of a Viking mould about it.

As other have said it's good to see new aft cockpit boats being built.  I cannot think of any others built recently, the Broom 29/30 comes close but there's not many on hire.