Pasta Amatriciana.

SPEEDTRIPLE

This recipe is one our family has followed since i was very young, and is ALWAYS cooked while on the boat. It`s a good dish for those that have a boat with a two burner cooker, as it only needs two pots. (And a grill if you like garlic or cheese and tomato flatbread).

The Amatriciana (pronounced "Amatricha") sauce.

One medium sized cooking onion finely chopped or diced.

One pack of smoked back rindless bacon finely chopped (12 thin or 8 thick rashers)

One tin or carton of chopped tomatos (with herbs / garlic etc optional)

tomato puree (to tastes)

Ground black pepper

Dried or fresh Basil

Ground Paprika (not hot, and to tastes)

2 oz or knob of butter.

Fry the onion in pre heated olive oil. Simmer gently until soft, then add the bacon. Fry gently till bacon is cooked then add the paprika and stir. Add the chopped tomatoes and dried basil or alternatively if using fresh basil, leave till just before serving. Add tomatoe puree to tasteLeave to simmer covered for half an hour stirring occaisionally.

If sauce is still quite fluid, turn up heat and simmer rapidly to reduce, then add butter to taste. When sauce is to desired taste and consistency, remove from the heat, and serve on your choice of pasta.

Serve and enjoy (hopefully) ..................................... Neil.

Yeah,

It`s surprising how domesticated i am. I can also do washing and the washing up afterwards.

I was able to cook a very basic tea at the age of 8, and used to cook a full roast dinner at 14.for my Brothers when my folks went on weekends away. We were all taught to cook at a young age, and always did our own washing. Then when i bought my own flat, it surprised people when i used to cook my own food, rather than go to a takeaway or live out of tins.