Feed the Birds

BroadScot

Some nice finches, sparrows and tits there. Wendy & I had a walk round Middleton Lakes (RSPB Reserve) yesterday, only a few miles from where we live. There is quite a large Heronry at the location. We noticed a bit of activity, as some of them seemed busy repairing their nests.

Next time we visit, I will try and get some photos. Only took the binoculars and left the camera behind. This reserve has only be opened for a couple of years and is still under development. The whole area covers an area about three miles long and just over half a mile across. The River Tame & the Birmingham & Fazely Canal run through the area, and the many lakes that have formed are from old gravel pit workings.

Further along the Tame Valley about four miles away, is Kingsbury Water Park, another wildlife haven, run by Warwickshire County Council. This again used to be old gravel workings. The park is well established and has been open since the late 1980s. There is a Seven & a Quarter Gauge Miniature Steam Railway that runs through part of the park for about one and a half miles. (£1.50 all classes approx 20 minute ride) Large free children's playground, cafeteria, gift shop and information centre and an education centre. Lots of woodland and lakeside walking on well maintained paths. There are also a few lakes dedicated for yachting, jet ski's (both private clubs) and a model boating lake (again model boat club). A good family day out for just £3.50 all day parking. So if you are ever in the area, a good place to visit. 2 miles from Junct 9 (M42).

I have inadvertently been feeding a bird,

I went to feed my fish last week, only feed them twice a week as they do not eat in cold weather, and thought, that's strange, some of them must be hiding, as three Koi were not in plain sight.

The next morning, at around 6:30am my OH screamed from downstairs, I ran down and just caught sight of a heron flying out of the garden.....

Mystery of missing fish solved.... (you could say I have the Harnser)

Have now got a decoy Heron stood at the side of the pond.....

:Stinky

PS...

We also have a bird table to feed our resident ringed doves, and others

Yes you do need a dummy heron, stood by your pond if you want to deter real herons from taking your fish. I lost several a few years ago, until I bought a decoy heron. They do work, but you need to move it around the pond on different days. Real Herons are not that stupid, if they notice the decoy stood in the same position day after day, they will come for a closer look.

We live pretty close to a Heronry where there are about a dozen or so nests, so there are always herons flying about, on the look out. I also put a pond net over the pond from the end of August until the end of this month (Feb) which will deter Herons or even cats from dipping their paws in the water. So pond nets not only stop leaves falling in your pond, but deter any wild life as well. Next month, my pond will get its annual clean, ready for the summer.

Another hour at the RSPB Reserve today, captured these shots of the Heronry. with my camera. My zoom is not powerful enough to get closer shots, but you can see the nests and a few herons in these photos. Quite a bit of activity on some of the bird feeders and a few ducks, geese and arctic terns in the last few photos.

post-32645-0-24129400-1423411294_thumb.j 

post-32645-0-32261600-1423411347_thumb.j

post-32645-0-25589800-1423411424_thumb.j

post-32645-0-65615000-1423411478_thumb.j

post-32645-0-13809000-1423411534_thumb.j

post-32645-0-69282100-1423411569_thumb.j

post-32645-0-61820900-1423411642_thumb.j

post-32645-0-08980800-1423411689_thumb.j

• Like 3