Nelsons coming back to Norfolk

Boaters

I wonder how much of the current Victory went to Trafalger?

About 40% of the original timbers have been replaced over the several refits that have taken place over the years. It was lying afloat until 1921, when it was decided to put it in the dry dock, where it is standing today. Since then it has had more than a third of its framework completely replaced, due to the deathwatch beetle, that had been eating away at the timber. During the 1960s, it was completely re-masted and re-rigged and most of the upper deck was re-planked.

Since then, in 2003 it had another major refit and quite a few alterations were carried out, to get it looking more as it would have looked during the Battle of Trafalgar. This was done in time for the 200th anniversary in October 2005. Before Nelson took over the Victory, she had been lying in Chatham for almost 40 years, so it was given a complete make over and  looked much different then, than it does today. It was built with a different figurehead and more heavily carved stern gallery. These were replaced during that refit, for the ones you see today. After Trafalgar, most of the ships were scrapped but Victory and a few others were used as prison hulks lying in the Medway. Victory was finally towed to Portsmouth Harbour in 1921, when it was decided to save it for the nation.

• Like 5

Thank yoiu Geoff for that informative update, and of course explains why I didny see the blood marks on the deck. :naughty:  I enjoyed my visit to the Victory, and would recommend a visit to the complete Museum area. you need more than a day to see it all!

One word of warning :River Police , like all older craft if you are over 5ft and a bit tall prepare to duck a lot! :naughty: the lower down the decks you go!

cheers Iain.

Not that Nelson would have spent much time below decks, but he wouldn't have needed to walk with his head bent, as he was only 5' 2" tall. Captain Hardy, was 6' 2" 

Another fact about the Victory, there are only two of the original cannons on the ship, the rest (98) are replicas, all made of wood.