Easter on Bright Horizon

Thursday 9th April

What better way to start the day than a cruise to Coltishall. The day before on the Bure had brought many day boats out and the river was busy enough to feel like peak season. Not so this morning as being top side of the bridge it felt like we were on a different waterway. At Coltishall we chugged beyond the Rising Sun close to the navigation limit before turning round and stopping on the common. The trip back to Wroxham was as enjoyable as the trip up. We stopped at the Hoveton moorings to visit Roys and then on our return flagged down the bridge pilot who's just brought a boat through. As the pilot motored us toward the bridge a day boat selfishly pulled out from the left right across our path, much to the pilot's consternation. Safely through we made a water stop at Barnes and then to Wroxham Broad for another spot of mudweighting. Natalia then asked if we could go to Ranworth - who could refuse? By the time we arrived there it was 4pm and of course the chances of a spot at the staithe were zero. We contented ourselves with a brief stop on the island mooring before deciding to head for How Hill for the night. There we saw a fleet of yachts from the Hunters yard, a youth group making good work of washing up in the sunshine.

• Like 4

Hi Geoff and Wendy. Yes the river above Wroxham is beautiful and the spot at Coltishall is also lovely.

Friday 10th April

Being at How Hill we decided we'd like to try the Electric Eel trip for the first time. Before that though there was plenty of time for a trip up river and back, this being the sunniest day so far. En route to Stalham we found ourselves chugging at very low speed behind a mini convoy of boats. The engine on Bright Horizon is fine but must have a fair few miles on the clock and vibrates at low revs. A comedy moment ensued whilst with Natalia at the helm and me washing up I had a race on to dry the dishes before they all bounced off the draining board!

We couldn't let the opportunity of a stop in Richardsons pass without enjoying a nose on some boats, something the staff are always pleased to accommodate. Natalia had never been on Broadsman before and that was a high spot.

We returned to How Hill, detouring via Neatishead just for the hell of it. The Electric Eel trip was absolutely brilliant, even for someone like me with only a passing interest in birds and wildlife. The little electric boat takes you through man made ditches and to a bird hide at Reedham Water. We saw Herons, Marsh Harriers, a little brown bird others in the boat were very excited about (willow warbler possibly) and others too numerous to mention. We got a strong sense of being priveleged to go where no-one else can.

Back at the boat we had a final cruise to do to reach our final night spot near Acle Bridge. We enjoyed a really good meal at the Bridge Inn.

• Like 6

Saturday 11th April

Short chug down to the boatyard this morning. I was worried about the fuel bill given how many miles we've done and the number of hours we needed the heaters on. I needn't have worried however - 77 litres wasn't too bad and meant I received a £20 refund on my fuel deposit which I wasn't expecting. The boatyard staff were all friendly once again, especially your man I mentioned on my Wednesday report who greeted my like a friend and wished me all the best for the journey home. The personal touch makes a difference & I really like Horizon Craft.

I hope you've enjoyed my tale, a few photos to follow.

• Like 6

Hi Simon

What an excellent account of your weeks holiday and thank you for sharing. It's nice when people share their holiday experience, as it is almost like being there yourselves, taking in all the places you can visit during the week. cheers

As you are aware, this will be our very first Broads holiday, which makes it even more exciting for us to look forward to. I am sure from what we have seen and read in all these holiday blogs, we are in for a great holiday. Just hoping for nice weather.  :bow

We will certainly be doing our own holiday blog, the first of many more to come, once we get back home and It will be nice to share it with you all.  :arms:

• Like 3