marigold

jillR

thanks for making me smile ....

“He called everyone sunshine and so was known as sunshine.”

Mr Braithwaite had just turned 74 before his recent death and had been living in a care home in Thetford.

He was a much-loved figure in Norwich and his daughter said she wanted to thank the city for the kindness her father has been shown over the years.

She said: “People in Norwich have been very respectful to him and kind and yes, there are some odd stories going around, but they’re not malicious.

“I want to thank the people of Norwich for being so kind to him because he was ill but he was able to bring out a kindness in people and a respect.

“There are lots of people who have difficulties like him and live the way he has and people aren’t always favourable but somehow people have been kind to him and I thank God for that, because its a tough life he’s had. But he still came out smiling and people still think of him.”

His daughter said many people claimed to have given her father his trademark gloves, including one person who said their son had suffered from mental health and had given the gloves to “keep him safe”, but does not know for sure how he got them.

Born in Christ Church, Barbados, Mr Braithwaite came to the UK in his late teens and worked initially on the London Underground before later arriving in Norfolk in the late 1960s, working as a printer’s compositor in Thetford.

A father of three daughters, who has two granddaughters and two great grandsons, he also worked at the Plover pub in Thetford, but became ill following an accident which changed his personality.

He lived in St Martin’s House, Westwick Street for many years, but disappeared from his regular haunts in 1996 and spent his later life in retirement at the care home.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/he_lived_a_rough_life_but_still_came_up_smiling_daughter_pays_tribute_to_popular_norwich_eccentric_marigold_1_4065727

• Like 5

I tried to post the link yesterday but couldn't...

I remember looking out for him on the way home from school everyday. probably the most famous person from Norwich in recent history (except Alan Partridge!)

RIP Marigold.

• Like 2