Beccles. Did you know that............

Wussername

On looking through the Beccles and Bungay Times I discovered that on August 17th 1951 the Beccles Regatta was watched by record crowds of between 12000 and 15000 people.

My first reaction was one of disbelief, perhaps an error.

But could it have been true. How did they all get there. Must have been quite a spectacle to attract so many people.

Old Wussername

• Like 1

Hmmm now the old grey cells are spinning with this one. Was it the Loaves and Fishes, Caxton Arms or somewhere else in town, possibly Poolcraft office, but I have seen pics of that regatta somewhere there, many years ago. As for those numbers, it sure does sound high. Never knew Suffolk had that many residents! :naughty:  Perhaps Carol has info on this one?

cheers Iain.

It's quite probably true. From the picture and film evidence I have seen, the Broadland regattas were always a major event and drew large crowds of spectators in the days before TV's were in everyone's living rooms! It wasn't just sailing back then either ... half barrel racing, swimming races, bathing beauty contests ... all manor of silly water based games which would probably be ruled out today by the Health & Safety bods. I've several pictures from the first half of the 20th century which show the riverbanks lined with decorated wherries and boats, all crowded with spectators watching the action at the various regattas. I would imagine that regatta day would still have been very popular in 1951 - easy rail travel into Beccles back then too, not only on the main line but also the Beccles to Tivetshall railway which was still open and would have brought in people from the villages between.

These two postcards were of the 1924 Beccles Regatta

post-143-0-94920000-1432901915_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-70819200-1432901892_thumb.jpg

Carol

• Like 7