Mutford Lock

JennyMorgan

I think we are all sort of saying the same thing here - even Senator and myself.

Why would anyone/organisation take on something that needs a million pounds spending on it to bring it up to scratch? Maybe there is something missing here that we dont know about and are all speculating on? Wouldn't be the first time!!

The point Senator and I were making is that (and you have guessed we both have high air draft sea going boats) there are a lot of facilities provided that we do not use, similarly the lock may be a facility some of you others may not need/want to use or care about (unless Oulton Broad drained away).

Whoever has responsibility for it though it needs to be kept up to standard.

I haven't used the lock this year because it has been so fragile and out of action for a while and it probably wouldn't make much odds to me if it never worked again - going out of GY for most sea going boats is quicker (look at where most of them are moored up river of Reedham) to the actually get to the sea than it is to get down to Oulton, through the lock and out, we can get from GY to Lowestoft by sea in less than 15 mins if needed and both routes are at the mercy of bridge lifts so as long as you time it right your good - Oh and GY is free.

It seems we now have a divide between the sea going and river going MOBOs now, not just those dodgy rag and stick!:bow:bow

• Like 1

Dave your probably right.

And I agree the railway bridges are a pain as well.

I don't know the answer, but I think we all want to keep the lock working and make sure it doesn't affect our tolls or diminish the other facilities provided by the BA. If they cant afford a few bins, a lock is surely out of their league?

Maybe the lottery could fund some improvements to our National Park facilities (:hardhat::bow:bow - I'm on me way) 

• Like 1

I think Baitrunner and JM may have touched on why the lock is so important to someone in the BA.

In the short term it is a £1 million liability but if Dave makes good on his election promises then the third crossing is going to leave a lump of prime development land between Mutford and what will become the new salt side. Not only that but Mutford won't even be needed once the barrage and lock go in. 

Not saying for one minute this has anything to do with empires of course.

They don't own the bankside properties in the BA area now, doesn't stop them collecting money from them.

Plans I have seen for the third crossing show a barrage with a double bridge and lock, may be just artists impression though and the reality may be nothing like.

I think the reason you are struggling here Dave is you are trying to apply logic to the BA's intentions. 

In reality any bit that can be added will be added, almost regardless of any other factors. A bigger Empire must be a better Empire.

Current lines on a map are just the point at which the advance must start from :naughty: