lpg detector

HI,

Do you a carbon monoxide detector? If so, it's an advisory and not a requirement (or at least it wasn't last year). 

If you mean a gas detector again it's not a requirement. But if you can install a bubble tester it will make the test easier for the examiner.

cheers 

No! not part of the BSC, but always handy to fit just for peace of mind, don't buy the combi LPG/ carbon monoxide one though, it's a personal thing but my view is LPG is heavy and sinks to the floor, C/M is a gas so it rises, I can't see how one unit can do both as C/M units are usually fitted high up and LPG ones low down,, I have a C/B unit fitted in the cabin along with two smoke detectors, I don't have a LPG one though as I have a bubble tester fitted in the gas compartment that i check regularly,,

Frank,,,,

If it had a BSC before then you should be ok as not much has changed in last 4 yrs. 

i agree with everything then others have said here. 

If you have a river only boat you might want to check you have enough air vents as that is one thing they seem to focus on. Mine is sea going so got away with that  

The other thing I found is your fire extinguishers should be ok if they are the right type, have no corrosion and the gauge is in the green. Don't worry about dates on them. Of course if your not happy with them or acquired them with the boat then you might want to change them as you don't know if they have been loved and its your life at risk if they fail. 

Tip if you have powder extinguishers give them a shake at regular intervals as it stops the powder solidifying. 

I was really worried as had my first one this year and the guy was really good and explained everything as he checked things. Even mentioning things they don't have to check. 

Personally I wouldn't rely on a bubble tester only to check for leaks,  a fractured pipe, poor connection, or in our case a cooker without a flame failure device, gas could escape at any time. We also have gas hot air central heating, so turning the gas off every night at the bottle is a no no.

I turn off the gas bottle, the tap near the bottles and the cooker tap, :naughty: in fact it's not just gas, if i'm not using it at night it gets turned off, the only thing I leave on is the fridge and thats direct to the battery, I just have a couple of the Rolson LED battery lights for late night visits to the thunder box,,

Frank,,,,

Edited by Mowjo

Thanks for that info everybody. We have carbon monoxide  detectors already. I think that we have enough vents even though it is ocean going. A bit  paranoid about gas. Some years ago a neighbour was killed on the Broads with a gas explosion . We will have one installed any way better to be safe than sorry.We will get Moonfleet to do it Phil is reliable and trustworthy.

Regards

Pauline and Keith