Lady Of Freedom

Here are my thoughts on Lady of Freedom from Freedom Cruisers which I hired solo for 5 nights in April 2018.

Lady is an aft cockpit design dating from the early 1980s and being 31 foot by 11 foot has a similar layout to the majority of aft cockpit 2-4 berths but of greater dimensions. The rear cockpit is exceptionally spacious and there is the standard seating across the stern although it's difficult to use this when the open canopy covers it. The canopy itself although large is straight forward to raise and lower even when solo. There is a central bar which assists this as it divides the process in to two stages. When the canopy is raised both the side and rear sections can be rolled up which makes for good access and ventilation. The windscreen is in 3 separate sections and is unusually easy to lower and raise.

Lady is powered by a BMC engine which may be the original and I found it reliable if a little noisy in comparison to more modern engines. It wasn't exceptionally economical although this was undoubtedly influenced by punching strong tides and running the engine when moored to make frequent use of the heating. 

The saloon is spacious and the u shaped sofa would accommodate 4-5 adults comfortably. No doubt when converted to a bed it would be of good size for sleeping. The galley on the opposite side is standard with 4 ring hob and good sized fridge. The washroom is a reasonable size and using the shower doesn't feel cramped as is common on hire craft. The floor in the washroom has large holes for drainage to the shower tray rather than the lift out floor type which worked well. I couldn't get the spray function to work on the shower. 

The forward cabin consists of a 4 foot double bed with a single cross over above. This worked OK for me given I could use the single as a generous storage shelf. There is a long hanging rail underneath the single bed which was useful but I'd prefer to have a shorter rail and use of some of the space for shelving or drawers. There's an additional TV in the bows which I didn't use but it's a nice luxury touch combined with the fixed aerial mounting on the roof. I had good TV signal everywhere with very little aerial adjustment. 

I think it would be a comfy boat for 3 or 4 although I could see storage then becoming an issue. Saloon storage is limited to a small wardrobe, the under sink cupboard and a modest cubby hole under the sofa. 

Overall, the boat was well maintained and excellent value for money. The service I received from Freedom was friendly and personal. I really like their unique offering of any day to any day hire and their willingness to continue to allow solo hirers means I shall undoubtedly return to Freedom in the future. 

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

It's a model I've often wondered about. What airdraft is it, and (with the pilots assistance) will it get under Potter Heigham bridge?

Officially 7 foot but based on my experience at Beccles (see my Holiday Tale) more like 6 foot 9. So yes, would pass under Potter now and again but only now and again probably. 

you could always add extra ballast to lower the freeboard. It's what Whispering Reeds Boatuard used to do, and probably did to Nyx when she was in their fleet?. There was a nice one called Raven in Maffetts fleet which didn't have the extra single in the fwd cabin, which gave you much more space for storage, or even a seat.

• Like 1