Hi Everyone

Drewby

I was working for a woollen mill in Matlock about 33 years ago and a friend said to me that he and a few others were going down to the Norfolk Broads to do a bit of fishing,boating and possibly the odd pint and would I like to join them . Please excuse my ignorance but I had never heard of the Broads and had no idea where Norfolk was. 

My freinds mate had his own boat , a beautiful old wooden boat with sliding canopy, she was called Curlew . We had a wonderful week in September , boating , fishing and of course enjoying the odd local hostelry, one in particular stuck in my mind , this was the locks inn at Geldeston, at the time it was gas lit and sold some lovely beer and cider. Luckily we didn't have too far to travel there as the boat was moored at Somerleyton. 

I really enjoyed myself and was even given the opportunity to drive the boat , she was a little different to the more modern boats as you had to engage forward and reverse gears. Learning how to drive a boat on the Southern Broads with tide and wind to contend with stood me in good stead for later.

We we repeated this holiday every September for the next 3 years until lives changed with other pressing commitments such as girlfriends, wives , kids etc. 

We have been abroad quite a few times over recent years and have both said to each other "why aren't we on the broads"?

From the first trip on my friends boat I was hooked and have continued to go on the Broads most years since 2 and 3 times a year , hiring boats until this year when we finally took the plunge and bought our own lovely Calypso from Richardsons 

We try to get there every other weekend and available holiday we absolutely love it , and concider the broads our second home .

Andy and Julie

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Hi Andy and Julie,  welcome to the friendly forum. 

I hav an ex richardsons Calypso down on thd River Medway ,,  nice solid boats,  everyone seems to have a different interior. 

Are based north or in the glorious Southern broads.  

We are based in Horning but hope to be spending a fortnight on the Southern broads in the summer 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Andy & Julie,

Welcome to the NBN forum from Tan & myself. 

I hope you enjoy your time on the Southern Broads this year. Forum members love pictures of crews trips on the Broads so I hope you manage take some shots.

Regards

Alan

cheers Alan