Slack Water Times, Late June

SPEEDTRIPLE

Hi all,

does anybody have any ACCURATE times of slack water at Gt Yarmouth, as often, we find the time given on tide tables are not that accurate. We went through one year at what was SUPPOSED to be either low tide, or slack water, and the tide was still ebbing, and we endded up punching the tide all the way across Breydon.

Regards to all ............Neil.

Hi Neil.

Tidal predictions are just that, Predictions, tide's certainly on the east coast are subject to local weather, I.e if we get a big storm in the north sea it can really mess up the tides, so much so that it can even miss a tide. If the tides looks delayed then probably best to hold back and wait a bit and/or as Iain said give the chaps a call at the BA offices for their advice.

cheers 

• Like 6

As Alan states they are only tide predictions. I find it useful to also check the Eastport tide gauge as this gives you the last two days observations, against predicted. This can give you an idea whether the tides are higher or lower than predicted, and also whether they are generally early or later than predicted.

http://www.eastportuk.co.uk/Tidal_Chart.aspx

A look at the current chart shows the overnight high was slightly higher and later than predicted, and it looks to be the same now as well. 

• Like 3

Because of this unpredictability and if you like me louth going against the tide is this an idea, something I've been doing for years in both directions. Simply get to the Yacht Station for around low water and wait for the tide to really get going in the direction you want. I know this is going to cost £10 for a return trip but this can be offset by topping up with water and the opportunity to get some big town shopping etc. Mooring is not a problem with the the yacht station staff always seeming to spot an approaching craft. Certainly less hassle, noise, fuel and time spent on the length of that slightly mundane reach to the Stacey Arms.

Fred

• Like 2