The 1950's

Timbo

I'm doing a spot of research both on Royal Tudor, the Broads Boat Hire businesses and the socioeconomic climate of Britain in and around the 1950's to early 1960's. But I'm having a spot of bother. You see I'm an ancient historian not a modern historian. Yes I know I'm knocking on a bit now but what I meant was...ask me what happened on the 23rd of November 1499, it was a Saturday, and I can tell you...but years where it's possible I was alive? No chance.

So according to the history books Britain was in the middle of a post war boom in the 1950's, a rising standard of living meant more people had disposable income to spend on such things as holidays. The number of hire boats was on the increase. Yet rationing only ended in 1954. Looking at Royal Tudor, many of her fixtures and fittings are pre war, and talking to as many people as I can that were around in the 50's they still talk of shortages and being skint. According to one source the ever shrinking Empire and demands of the war meant that hardwood timber was in short supply. But I can't seem to get my head around all the bits and pieces of information.

What was the situation regarding materials and components for building Broads Cruisers in the mid to late 50's and early 60's?

Paul Feeney wrote a book about the Baby Boomer years. I haven't read it, but may be of help Tim. Yes I am one of them, and yes I do have very good memory for going back in time, sadly boat building aint one of them!

Good luck on your quest for answers.:)

cheersIain