Good Read

DaveRolaves

I bought a book recently from the cabin at Hardley Mill, its called a Broad Experience by Robin Godber who was the owner of the Alexander Hire fleet based in Brundall from 1999  to 2006.

Its a good read and gives readers an insight into the running of a hire fleet with running costs problems and call out to broken down cruisers etc. The book (287 pages) is still available either used or new and goes into almost day to day problems encountered with running a fleet of hire boats.  Dave R..........

• Like 4

Snowy - that was quick - hope you like the book - perhaps you could update us when you have read it. My reaction is that with all the breakdowns, new engines and  gearboxes, call outs, divers brought in to clear ropes from props etc - is that at the end of the day profits are not going to be large. Dave R........

• Like 1

Hi JennyMorgan. Good to know that Robin is still on the broads and sailing. He may also view this forum. In his book he said that whilst he was thinking about buying the Alexander hire fleet he saw a Lochin motor cruiser on the broads which was an unusual sight (he once worked for Lochin) and he took that as a good omen and purchased the Alexander hire cruisers. The Lochin he saw may have been mine. I bought it as a bare hull in 1994 and fitted it out and whilst it was based at Southwold I did take it onto the broads from 1997 for a few years and normally visited Brundall Bay Marina. Photo of my Lochin (now sold) is attached. Dave R..

lochin.jpg