Wayford Bridge Public Moorings

BoF

Hi,

Some advice please. 

I haven't been up to Wayford Bridge for a very long time; always meant to on my last full day before returning the boat to Richardson's, but never managed it. At some stage on my next trip I want to get up to Dilham and stop off at Wayford Bridge for a bite to eat, either on the way up or back down. So,

Is there easy access to the Wayford Bridge Inn from the public moorings?

Any comments on the quality and price of the food at the Inn?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

The public moorings are long enough for about three boats and there are further moorings the other side of the bridge but you need to pay for them, currently £8 I believe. You used to get half back at the hotel on food, but I don't know if that still counts. The public ones are free off course and it is very easy to access the hotel. You walk along the mooring, under the road bridge and then turn right and up into the car park of the hotel.

I last ate there in April and the food was good and reasonably priced. Slightly more expensive than a standard pub, but not gastro pub prices. I would certainly recommend it.

Wayford Bridge Inn is one of our favourite places to eat. The moorings before the bridge are not very long so best to have a backup plan just in case! We haven't managed to get any further up towards Dilham or the moorings on the other side of the bridge as there hasn't been enough clearance to get under whenever we have been there. It's something of a mystery to me as to why all the hire yards constantly warn about Potter Heigham, Wroxham and Beccles Old bridges but don't seem to mention Wayford Bridge as having limited clearance. We saw someone get wedged under there when we visited last week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

As a warning there is a plank of wood under the bridge on the far side. I have seen people go under and then start to reverse out once they see the plank. It is there purely because the bridge is on an angle and therefore there is more clearance on the upstream side. The plank isn't an obstruction, it merely makes the bridge the same height both sides. Don't worry, if you go under without scraping the boat on the way in, you will clear the plank the other side. Similarly if coming down stream, if you clear the plank, although the bridge appears to get tighter, you will still clear.