Public Staithes

JohnK

I just want to understand the rules / expectations. I did google it but couldn’t find much information.
We’re buying a cottage with no access by car but there’s parking across the river which other cottage owners seem to use very near a public staithe.
Would it be fair to leave a small dinghy at the staithe when we’re not there?
Should we only leave the dinghy at the staithe when we’re staying at the cottage but going out by car? So take the dinghy back to the cottage when we’re going home.
That sort of thing really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Sanford is indeed the best person to speak to, he’s chairman of the Thurne Bungalows Management Company. (TBMC) and knows just about everything there is to know about bungalow living at Potter.  He is a very friendly and helpful gentleman. His place is the cream and green painted, rather colonial looking, bungalow a few hundred yards above the bridge, on the left as you head upriver.  You’ll often see him pottering (intentional pun) up and down the river in a little electric powered wooden dayboat.  I believe many of the bungalows have a dedicated car parking space behind the Broadshaven Tavern, or at the river side of the fish and chip shop (what was the site of the hotel before it burnt down). 

As to the staithe; owned and managed by the Broads Authority.  Boats can use it for ‘staithe purposes’, ie loading and unloading.  Mooring is restricted to 24 hours, you can’t leave a boat tied up there permanently (imagine if all the bungalows, there are well over 100 of them, all wanted to claim that right).

• Thanks 1