Winter Cruising

Looks like a beautiful day for a cruise! I'm based at Potter too and run 50/50 antifreeze into the cooling system at the end of each cruise but often wonder if it's really needed given the fairly light and short lived frosts we have.

54 minutes ago, Ray said:

Looks like a beautiful day for a cruise! I'm based at Potter too and run 50/50 antifreeze into the cooling system at the end of each cruise but often wonder if it's really needed given the fairly light and short lived frosts we have.

The one time you don't do it will be the one time you wish you had, the boat next to mine at my old mooring went down two years on the run due to a burst cooling pipe hose, its pretty much beyond saving now and is the one boat the marina owners keep an eye on over the colder months, it looks a horrible mouldy rotten Seamaster but they keep on paying the mooring fees so not much they can do apart from keep on advising the owner to turn off or drain anything that can freeze..

• Like 1

Well this year we have installed tube heaters on frost stats. We will see how the cost of the electricity compares to the cost of winterising and de-winterising. The bonus for us is the occasional day out, like today. Priceless?? :27_sunglasses:

• Like 3