Filters

Hi - So Thursday evening - bit bored - decided to have a play in the engine bay. The first "filters" in the fuel line seem to be water traps. I took the bowls off and cleaned quite a bit of cr..er..sediment out and put all back together nice and shiney clean.

Next to do are spin on filters, but awaiting delivery so left them for now. Anyway now I have a bowl full of air in the fuel lines. Do I need to bleed them - if so as they are higher than the tank?

Many thanks and smelling of diesel

Wayne

If they are the primary filters you may be able to self bleed (just a chance) by striking the lumps up as there will be quite a bit left in the engine filters. Otherwise bleed as normal. You certainly will need to bleed after replacing the engine mounted ones.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think they are just water traps. There is a vent on the bottom and there were no elements inside - maybe there should be??

They are followed by quite a large crosland 592 spin on filter. I found an engine manual but it seemed to stop before the fuel "prepartaion" system.

I'll spark them up tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks again

Wayne

HI Wayne,

My primary filters ar Crosland 592 as well, and the ones already fitted are about 8" long. When I bought replacments to take on board as spares, the 592's are only about half the height, so don't be surprised if they arrive and look the wrong type!

If you had sludge in the bottom of your water traps, was it a green/brown looking algae type gunge? I had that on the last boat, if so, and put it down to "diesel bug" and so started using a tank treatment at each fill up.

The sludge was black although the diesel in the bowl looked a bit green :o

Does sound like a touch of "bug". If it's not causing a problem and blocking things up then probably best to just ignore it. Using a bug killing additive (I used Starbrite's "Startron") in Tranquil Breeze can't do any harm if you fancy it though.

Hi all

Ran the engines today for 10 mins and all seemd o.k - I guess the "bowl" filter had filled itself up or it's going to wait until I am in the river before the engine conking out!

Anyway the fuel line goes as follows:

post-710-136713684523_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713684798_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713684821_thumb.jpg

If I have to change the spin on after stiring the tank up would I an guessing I dont have to bleed ?

Thanks

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - me again :grin:

Does anybody use aftermarket filters - if so which brands and are there any to avoid.

I have prices from Volvo for genuine ones and they are not too bad but when you take into account 2 x everything plus spares it adds up.

thanks

Wayne

Hi - me again :grin:

Does anybody use aftermarket filters - if so which brands and are there any to avoid.

I have prices from Volvo for genuine ones and they are not too bad but when you take into account 2 x everything plus spares it adds up.

thanks

Wayne

Hi Wayne, this came up recently.

I use aftermarket as ours is petrol and I could just filter mine through a pair of tights. If you are going to use them make sure your micron size is the same as the real ones. Think from memory it was about honours even between genuine and fake.

Oil filters you could probably source compatible ones but ensure they are of the correct spec, fuel filters are another matter entirely, as Ian says above it is important that you get the correct filtration by having the micron size right, there are many aftermarket filters that will fit but be sure you look at the book beforehand as such info is rarely printed on the box.

Me, I just use the VP ones as the price is not that much different and it's only once a year, also I can't be arsed to do the research.

also I can't be arsed to do the research.

I am geting to that point now - already confused as to which websites I have been to :?

Upon reflection I think as I am trying to build up confidence in the engines genuine is probably the way to go.

thanks

Wayne

I am geting to that point now - already confused as to which websites I have been to :?

I can understand that too! I was lucky in that Mark kindly went over my engine and noted all the part numbers for me whilst I was at work. I got home to an email from Mark with all the details in which I simply forwarded to Keypart with a request for two of everything on the list!

The primary fuel filter was a Fram which Keypart couldn't provide so Mark stepped in again and got me one from Panks.

I even opted for genuine Volvo oil too because it only cost about £3 more for each 5 ltr container than the alternatives and at least I know I am using exactly what the manufacturer wants and if you are trying to build confidence it would seem to make sense to get what you know is right.

All ordered from Prior Diesel - and with the stock discount the prices for genuine parts are about the same as aftermarket. I did ask them about the oil though as they only supply it in 5 ltr containers and at £20 a go - I need five. They recommended a Whitham alternative - 25 ltrs at 48.00 - so that makes it half price :grin:

Also ordered an oil sucky thingy online.

I did spot an interesting piece of work on the engine I have not yet worked on. There are three pullys on the front each with multiple vees. The one belt fitted ( there should be two) used a different vee on each pulley - surprised the belt actually stayed on :o

rgds

Wayne

Hi Jimbo

I got my Crossland filters from Peachment - and as they are Nanni dealers I guess they should be able to offer the Crossland equivalents ?

regards

Wayne

Thanks for that Wayne, but being Nanni main dealers, I think they would get a thrashing with the Nanni stick if they were to do such a thing :lol: